No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: John Deacons' lampwork?  (Read 8259 times)

Offline Sach

• Members
Re: John Deacons' lampwork?
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2012, 02:21:51 PM »
Allan is quite capable of encasing weights. I'd buy more JD weights if he Did have the collaborators signature cane in them.

Agreed, I have a special fondness for collaborative weights that are identified as such.  Yet it is up to the primary artist/studio to decide if they want to include such information within the weight or the materials describing the weight when it is brought to market.  As collectors anyone who wants to see this done should tell the studios that this is their preference.  The studios just want to sell their product as quickly and at the best price as is possible.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2012, 02:46:17 PM »
You mean it is up to the owner of the facilities to make the decision.
I consider the lampwork to be the primary art and the lampworker the primary artist.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Sach

• Members
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2012, 05:31:35 PM »
You mean it is up to the owner of the facilities to make the decision.
I consider the lampwork to be the primary art and the lampworker the primary artist.

And you are certainly free to think that way.  In my frame of reference the primary artist is the one controlling the process of creation/production and thus the one who gets to decide how the end product is described and sold.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2012, 05:37:43 PM »
But the lampworker alone creates the beautiful centre feature of the weight (which is the whole point of the thing).
They wouldn't sell without that, no matter how rich or controlling the owner of the facilities is.
We shall have to agree to differ.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2012, 06:20:24 PM »
  There are some interesting points coming out about this lampwork and of course not everyone will have the same opinion. John is quite capable of making excellent weights without any collaboration, I've had JD garlands better than many baccarat weights but he likes torch expertise and incorporates them at times. Perhaps it might be a selling point if the artists sig canes were involved?  Roger (the peacemaker).

Offline tootingpf

• Members
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2012, 07:51:31 PM »
Wasn't expecting such a lively discussion!  :bsh:

Which side of a square makes the greatest contribution to its area?

Same with paperweights (except they're generally not square...!).  For instance, one of the things I like about the paperweight that started this thread, is the beautiful red flash overlay (not to mention the lovely, and perfectly executed, 'cushion' on which the lampwork sits - presumably both done by JD).  So you have the lampworker, the 'encaser' and, in many cases a faceter (if that's even a real word).

It would be nice to have a full, 'pedigree' for weights though - it just makes it interesting to follow individuals across different weights and times.

For example, now we've finished with JD, I'd love to know who did the lampwork in this one.  It's Pertshire (unless the maker was called, 'Phil' or similar) but I've no idea who did the lampwork.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2012, 07:53:59 PM »
I'm not sure about the weights Allan has collaborated with John on, although I know his lampwork is acknowledged in the dealers' info about them, but John does include Willie Manson canes in weights where Willie has done the lampwork.  

I understand that John and Craig now also do lampwork themselves, although IMHO it's not of the same quality as Allan's.   However, the canes, including the 'silhouette'  and picture canes, and the overlays and torsades, are magnificent and, as Roger says, every bit as good as - or even better than - Baccarat!

[Mod: Spelling of "Willie Manson" above has been corrected.]
Leni

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2012, 07:57:02 PM »
I'd love to know who did the lampwork in this one.  It's Pertshire (unless the maker was called, 'Phil' or similar) but I've no idea who did the lampwork.

Presumably that would be Peter McDougall.
Leni

Offline tootingpf

• Members
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2012, 08:33:49 PM »
Ah, thanks Leni - could well be!

The puzzle then is, if PM is capable of such superb lampwork, why is some of the current lampwork in his weights produced by Karen Maxwell (I believe)?

Regards,

Graham

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
   Dont believe P Mac is a torchwork person like he is a magnificent cane maker. Cant believe he did the 6 flower bouquet in the 1997 perthshire weight, perhaps it was Karen?  Some one will know. Roger(the unconvinced).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand