No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walsh 'Fruiting Vine' pattern.  (Read 12249 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Walsh 'Fruiting Vine' pattern.
« on: December 30, 2011, 07:53:22 PM »
Like 'Kenilworth', this design was applied to a variety of pieces (including decanters), and appears to have been offered in pink, green and blue overlay/cased wares, and although I'm biased (I don't have any coloured examples), I think wheel engraving usually looks best on clear glass.       Colours seem to mask the more delicate nature of wheel engraving.       Although not from a charity shop, these were unusually inexpensive, and were my best buy before the Christmas break - one is marked Walsh England, and one is entirely without any backstamp.     So, forgive the egotism, and hope any Walsh fans might like to see these :)

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Walsh 'Fruiting Vine' pattern.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 01:03:21 AM »
Very nice Paul :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: must add to my small Walsh collection in the new year ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 07:43:37 PM »
thanks Keith - so that makes two of us wot collects Walsh.     Should mean that values remain depressed, and we can look forward to a year of finding these things at give away prices ;)        Fingers crossed we find some of the coloured examples, but I would say that some of these backstamps are very feint and difficult to see, and a long hard look is worthwhile.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 09:13:04 PM »
Hello Paul,not seen much recently,apart from a small damaged epergne, the dealer wanted £25 and wouldn't let it go for less despite the enormous crack down one side :o,I've only one coloured piece,a small 'Kenilworth' vase in blue and clear,good hunting for the new year ;D

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 07:35:06 AM »
Well I'm having the uranium Walsh, so paws off boys LOL

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 11:52:44 AM »
Hi

Thanks to your post which has helped in the ID of this finger bowl. I not sure where I got it from, 

Roy

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 12:19:02 PM »
My wife bought these from a charity shop a couple of years ago . I do not know who made them but never thought that they were Walsh, she bought 6 but dropped one while opening the front door , but still have 5 Left which we still use occasionally

Roy

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 12:46:12 PM »
 :-[

The next Uranium one I find is yours, Christine. Believe it or not, there was somebody we know who needed it even more than you did.  :usd:
It's marked Walsh on the base.
I have a strong preference for engraving being on coloured glass rather than clear - I think it makes the design stand out far better when there are different depths of colour delineating it. I feel that on clear glass it often just mushes together, (often into death by a thousand cuts..... :ho: )
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 01:11:41 PM »
Roy -  nice hock/wine glasses - pity you now have only five.    Must admit I didn't know it was possible to open a front door whilst holding six glasses ;)
I might suggest a little caution before attributing your examples to Walsh.         The world is full of glass objects which have been decorated with grapes, leafing vines, tendrils etc., and I was able to confirm the provenance of mine because of the backstamp and the illustrations in Reynold book, and whilst Walsh did produce some stunning hock style glasses  in cased/cut designs (Harlequin), I am unble to see your plain engraved bowl pattern in the book.        One of the characteristics of Walsh's 'Fruiting Vine' engraving, is the pale central area of the leaf, which I don't see in your tall glasses  -  but can see in your finger bowl.     This pale area within the leaf shows quite clearly in the illustrations in the book.         I would also venture to suggest that the stems on your glasses are uranium - have you tested with the torch?
Your finger bowl is a strong contender for Walsh - these objects were probably not used after the second war - and although I don't see this particular piece in the main illustrations of Reynolds, it may well be included in the hundreds of patterns at the back of the book, which I haven't yet checked.      Assume you really have looked very carefully for a backstamp  -  they can be the devil to find, sometimes.

Sue, I really like your u. 'Fruiting Vine' glass :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  -  such a pity you have parted with it  -  but I will continue to disagree with you re the best type of glass for wheel engraving  -  I still think it looks best on clear :)     

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 01:15:31 PM »
sorry, meant to ask Sue  -  when are you getting a camera that can take good pics. ;)  -  also there is an example of your glass, in Reynolds, with a blue bowl, but I prefer your one :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand