No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walsh 'Fruiting Vine' pattern.  (Read 12252 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Walsh 'Fruiting Vine' pattern.
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2012, 04:04:35 PM »
They still use a team to make glasses at Dartington, though some of it uses a computer-controlled machine (stem drawing I think).

You can't squash the bowl onto anything because you would squash its shape. The merese/knop is gently applied like a blob of glue (which is what it effectively is) to stick the stem on and then another may used to stick the foot on (both these are preformed). In pressed glass, the sticking-on bit is called a wafer. A drawn stem would explain the point in the base of the bowl. A skilled worker should be able to attach a gob for the stem, work it in so as to be invisible and then pull the stem, which would also pull on the bowl. A decorative knop could be applied afterwards. That's my thoughts any way.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 04:06:14 PM »
Thanks so much for the explanation  :)
I've been doing some investigating and  I think my example on the iridescent vase may be a very very short capstan stem?
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2012, 04:10:52 PM »

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 04:38:51 PM »
I think you're trying to make things too complicated. The foot and the bottom knoppy bit on your vase are from a three-part mould. I think there is a thin wafer between the foot plus knop and the knop on the bottom of the main vase; the top knop being purely decorative and applied after the vase has been blown to its basic shape. I'm not sure you can compare 18th century techniques with 20th century ones quite so directly.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2012, 04:48:51 PM »
 ;D  I'm desperate to show someone the vase - are you going to the National at all?
It probably is my misunderstanding, but I honestly don't think it is as you describe.  The knop is a diabolo shape, it is squeezed in in the middle but there is no separate wafer there, the knop is all one piece of glass with the top flared bit of it surrounding the bottom of the stem of the vase and the bottom flared bit of the knop immersed slightly into the top of the foot.
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2012, 04:54:25 PM »
Yes I am. Look at your photos. You can see the mould seams on the bottom bit of the knop

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2012, 05:06:14 PM »
beaten again......huh. :cry:

certainly is.......if you imagine a fishing reel profile...two flanges joined by a 'U' shape, so to speak.         But I can't see the holes into which the sailors would place the wooden braces :24:
m  -  you need some more books - but there does seem to be a missing link i.e. something that does give very good descriptions of manufacturing processes.

TNA do offer a professional search service, I believe, but expensive as far as I'm aware.         For most of the info I need it's regrettably not possibly to run down to an individual item on the pc screen  -  it does require a personal visit - for the simple reason that there is an almost infinite amount of data in their possession, and impossible to put every word on the screen.   In order to use their facilities, it's necessary to register in person in order to recieve a Reader's Ticket - and they do require a lot of info, from memory.
I could look for you when next I visit  -  I would need to see an image of the piece, if possible  -  and of course, the Rd. No., you might have to wait 4 - 6 weeks until I'm in need of going again.
However, it's only necessary, usually, to visit, if there is a substantial query  i.e. the No. is missing from Thompson and/or the Blue Book.      Due you have either of these?    Neither is expensive, and if pressed glass is collected then it's really essential to have both.   
Raymond Slack's book does carry all Nos. from their inception to the end of the Victorian period, but his book is not cheap, and doesn't cover the C20 anyway.      Lattimore is less useful for the Rd. Nos., but does have something the others seem to have overlooked (I think).....which is a list of glass patents registered by the major glasshouses in the north east of England.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2012, 05:31:26 PM »
Christine thank you so much for trying to help and I am so sorry for appearing to be dense  :-[ but I cannot see where you can see mould seams.  When you say a three part mould I don't know what you can see that makes you say that?  is it the three 'apparent' lines radiating out over the top of the foot from the knop in my photo?  if so these are unfortunate reflections from something, I know not what, but there are definitely no mould lines on the foot of this piece that I can see.  I'm sure you are probably right but I just can't see what you are describing... sorry  :-[
Hopefully I'll get to the National as planned and be able to bring it and a couple of other pieces with me.

Paul, thank you for all the info much appreciated.  I have so many books but none ever have the particular  bit of information in that I want - funny thing that  ;D

I was asking as it is for a piece of, what appears to be, quite obscure blown glass with a hand engraved reg number on it - it isn't on the great glass reg numbers list but I believe from the number, it dates to 1903.  I'll post that on a separate topic.  Thanks again for your offer but unless it would be a very simple thing to do and really not take up time, then I'll contact them directly.
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2012, 07:13:18 PM »
quote from m.............."then I'll contact them directly".............can only wish you luck. :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2012, 07:20:39 PM »
 :-\ is that not possible?
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum