No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walsh 'Fruiting Vine' pattern.  (Read 12250 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Walsh 'Fruiting Vine' pattern.
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2012, 07:28:41 PM »
Well, please do speak to them, and let us know how you get on.     Their phone No. is 0208 876 3444.        A hand engraved Rd. No. sounds unusual.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2012, 07:35:55 PM »
Have I said something wrong  :-X
I just wouldn't want to put you to any trouble - and I know from experience, that a quick little favour usually turns  into some enormous great big long job, so  that sometimes one wishes one hadn't offered  :)
thank you for the phone number
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2012, 09:13:49 PM »
I only said I'd show you a good time ;)   Give them a call and we await the outcome, and I'm sure we can help in some way.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
flying free ....the colour of the bowl goes down under the ring
Yes it does. I have looked sideways. It's not an optical illusion.

flying free I'm hoping it's an applied ring rather than a 'blob' knop that joins the bowl with the stem if you see what I mean?
I have looked very closely, with a jewellers loupe and it does indeed appear that it is an applied ring on top of the body rather than a joining wafer / collar/ merese. IMHO This makes it all the more impressive as there does not appear to have been a practical need for it.

flying free, your observations and questions have brought forth some interesting information, however, like others, I am confused as to the use you wish to make of this information. A link to your bowl topic would be more appropriate than extended discussion about it here. Please provide one. Thanks.

PS What appear to be mould lines on your bowl, I think are actually reflections of the grouting lines of your tiles.
PPS You and Lustroustone are actually agreeing with each other at various points in the discussion. Please try to see that. Thanks
Pete

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2012, 10:12:46 PM »
Pete thank you for your info on the goblet which is appreciated.
The link to this discussion and the other piece of glass is here
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,46010.0.html

The reason for the discussion is that I am trying to work out whether or not Walsh Walsh made my iridescent vase in the the topic linked to.  There are some similarities between my vase and some Walsh Walsh pieces, including this goblet, which I wanted to explore.

The similarities to the goblet on this thread are
- The way the bowl of the goblet is positioned on the stem
and the use of the knop device which 'appears to be' just above where the bowl ends, which at the time of me asking the original questions, seemed to me to be a similar device as to that on my vase.

I'm not sure whether I misunderstand your PPS final comment or not - I feel as though I have been told off for not understanding or appreciating the information being given.  If that is the way I came across I apologise, as I am very grateful that Christine has taken so much time to try and examine this and explain things.  It's just that I haven't been able to 'see' what is being explained and I'm sure that is  my lack of understanding of glassmaking processes that has hindered this - as well as the difficulty in trying to describe something which I have in front of me, always difficult when one person has the object and the other person doesn't.  I really do appreciate the help and information/observations being given, very much so.
Thank you again
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2012, 10:50:58 AM »
I am absolutely positive nobody is giving anybody any "tellings off",  I think it's just the difficulties of discussing such stuff in writing!

This sort of conversation would be best held with all of us together with the pieces in our sticky mitts and the advantage of our smiles and body language and pointing.  :ghug:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2012, 12:13:51 PM »
OK, to put my mind at rest can we have a foot photo or two on plain white paper with definitely no grout!  ;)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2012, 12:37:13 PM »
coming up :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2012, 01:59:40 PM »
urggh, sorry it is incredibly difficult to photograph because of reflections from everything as it is so highly iridescent.
These are the best I can do - I hope they are ok.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2012, 02:07:35 PM »
OK, no mould marks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum