No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walsh 'Fruiting Vine' pattern.  (Read 12254 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Walsh 'Fruiting Vine' pattern.
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2012, 02:15:22 PM »
Excellent  ;D

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2013, 04:11:31 PM »
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone may confirm this pattern as perhaps Walsh Fruiting Vine? The stopper is hollow. I cannot find the (famously elusive) acid etch mark for Walsh, but the fruiting vines look a lot like some shown on this thread? I have a copy of the Walsh book which is great but this pattern does not seem to be there.... maybe it isn't Walsh...... I am thinking circa 1860 English. Any information would be welcome......

Robert

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2013, 07:21:33 PM »
I'd agree it looks similar, but would say no based on the fact that I have both finger bowls and drinking glasses in the 'Fruiting Vine' pattern, and they all have the distinctive pale centres to the leaves  -  from memory think this was discussed someway back in this thread, and can be seen in the original pix. on this thread.                This feature may well be peculiar to Walsh, although can't guarantee that comment :)           The finger bowls and glasses are all marked 'Walsh England' - although as you say, on some the backstamp in very elusive.
As a decorative feature, there must have been hundreds of different hands producing this grape and leaf pattern, and I suppose many are going to look very similar.

I can't imagine that Walsh's Fruiting Vine pattern was as old as c. 1860 ??           Are there any matching Nos. on the neck and/or stopper, which might make you think English.         Otherwise it might equally be Continental.

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2013, 09:39:44 PM »
Thank you for the reply Paul, I am pleased someone very familiar with some Walsh examples has commented. I now see what you mean now about the vine leaves on Walsh having a fade in the leaf, making a distinction. As you say, many companies produced this popular style over many years. I did buy it in Stourbridge. I have bought other Walsh items with the acid etch mark in Stourbridge. This decanter may have come from much further afield than Birmingham, as you suggest may be the case....  No stopper marks etc. I was throwing a guess at English 1860. I think this attribution could be very tricky! Thank you for the reply, it is much appreciated. It pretty much leaves Walsh out of the running, which is OK, one less company to worry about I suppose and adds to the Walsh thread in a useful way too!

Robert

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2013, 08:40:48 AM »
just had a look in Reynolds book, and certainly all of the pieces of this pattern that he shows do have the central pale area to the leaves, so it does seem to be a Walsh feature that is constant in 'Fruiting Vine'.

Blown stoppers have been around for a very long time, and the shaft and globe shape doesn't help to date the piece, unfortunately.      However, it may be that the lack of deep mitres and profusion of shallow wheel cutting might point to a more recent date than you are suggesting, but I'm really only guessing.

Decanters are so commonplace, and produced with such a profusion of copied earlier styles, that without a name or very well known pattern, they nearly always prove impossible to attribute.
You don't comment on the extent (or lack) of wear  -  and although not a reliable method of assessing age, it might suggest either C19 or perhaps C20, and a base picture might help to suggest whether of some quality or not............ i.e. is there a quality cut star, or simply a plain bottom.
But as I say, I've a feeling you're onto a hiding to nothing with this one, unfortunately, so fill it with a good dry sherry and drink away :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand