Author Topic: Walsh 'Fruiting Vine' pattern.  (Read 2943 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Walsh 'Fruiting Vine' pattern.
« on: December 30, 2011, 07:53:22 PM »
Like 'Kenilworth', this design was applied to a variety of pieces (including decanters), and appears to have been offered in pink, green and blue overlay/cased wares, and although I'm biased (I don't have any coloured examples), I think wheel engraving usually looks best on clear glass.       Colours seem to mask the more delicate nature of wheel engraving.       Although not from a charity shop, these were unusually inexpensive, and were my best buy before the Christmas break - one is marked Walsh England, and one is entirely without any backstamp.     So, forgive the egotism, and hope any Walsh fans might like to see these :)

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Walsh 'Fruiting Vine' pattern.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 01:03:21 AM »
Very nice Paul :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: must add to my small Walsh collection in the new year ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 07:43:37 PM »
thanks Keith - so that makes two of us wot collects Walsh.     Should mean that values remain depressed, and we can look forward to a year of finding these things at give away prices ;)        Fingers crossed we find some of the coloured examples, but I would say that some of these backstamps are very feint and difficult to see, and a long hard look is worthwhile.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 09:13:04 PM »
Hello Paul,not seen much recently,apart from a small damaged epergne, the dealer wanted £25 and wouldn't let it go for less despite the enormous crack down one side :o,I've only one coloured piece,a small 'Kenilworth' vase in blue and clear,good hunting for the new year ;D

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 07:35:06 AM »
Well I'm having the uranium Walsh, so paws off boys LOL

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 11:52:44 AM »
Hi

Thanks to your post which has helped in the ID of this finger bowl. I not sure where I got it from, 

Roy

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 12:19:02 PM »
My wife bought these from a charity shop a couple of years ago . I do not know who made them but never thought that they were Walsh, she bought 6 but dropped one while opening the front door , but still have 5 Left which we still use occasionally

Roy

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 12:46:12 PM »
 :-[

The next Uranium one I find is yours, Christine. Believe it or not, there was somebody we know who needed it even more than you did.  :usd:
It's marked Walsh on the base.
I have a strong preference for engraving being on coloured glass rather than clear - I think it makes the design stand out far better when there are different depths of colour delineating it. I feel that on clear glass it often just mushes together, (often into death by a thousand cuts..... :ho: )
Cheers, Sue (M)

“All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.” Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 01:11:41 PM »
Roy -  nice hock/wine glasses - pity you now have only five.    Must admit I didn't know it was possible to open a front door whilst holding six glasses ;)
I might suggest a little caution before attributing your examples to Walsh.         The world is full of glass objects which have been decorated with grapes, leafing vines, tendrils etc., and I was able to confirm the provenance of mine because of the backstamp and the illustrations in Reynold book, and whilst Walsh did produce some stunning hock style glasses  in cased/cut designs (Harlequin), I am unble to see your plain engraved bowl pattern in the book.        One of the characteristics of Walsh's 'Fruiting Vine' engraving, is the pale central area of the leaf, which I don't see in your tall glasses  -  but can see in your finger bowl.     This pale area within the leaf shows quite clearly in the illustrations in the book.         I would also venture to suggest that the stems on your glasses are uranium - have you tested with the torch?
Your finger bowl is a strong contender for Walsh - these objects were probably not used after the second war - and although I don't see this particular piece in the main illustrations of Reynolds, it may well be included in the hundreds of patterns at the back of the book, which I haven't yet checked.      Assume you really have looked very carefully for a backstamp  -  they can be the devil to find, sometimes.

Sue, I really like your u. 'Fruiting Vine' glass :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  -  such a pity you have parted with it  -  but I will continue to disagree with you re the best type of glass for wheel engraving  -  I still think it looks best on clear :)     

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 01:15:31 PM »
sorry, meant to ask Sue  -  when are you getting a camera that can take good pics. ;)  -  also there is an example of your glass, in Reynolds, with a blue bowl, but I prefer your one :)

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand