No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walsh 'Fruiting Vine' pattern.  (Read 12305 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Walsh 'Fruiting Vine' pattern.
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 01:22:45 PM »
Ok Paul, I don't mind if you disagree with me. Apart from my Alison Kinnaird lantern which I adore (and is on clear glass) I'm an absolute philistine about scratches made on a cold glass surface.  :smg:

Hmmm, then there's my Chris Ainslie plate, and my little milk jug engraved with a bee bumping into a dandelion seed head, a WFs vase with a big fish on one side and a shoal of little fish on the other - and some sets of wine glasses... No, I still don't collect the stuff. Those doesn't really count. I'm really a complete philistine about it.  :pb:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 01:24:35 PM »
I don't know what's going on with the camera, Paul. It might be me.  :spls:
I can't see money being spent on a new one though!
As to the glass I had, it's with a friend who considers it to be one of the things he adores most out of all his glass, so it's where it belongs. What a friend has is never lost.  :kissy:

What's Reynolds?

:hj: A bit off topic, sorry, but you wouldn't happen to know off-hand what the correct distances from the object the camera should be for the different focal settings?
Flower + s is approximately 12", but I can't work out what the distances are for flower alone, for the single head, for the two heads or for the mountains.

Then it would appear I can't use the shaky hand correction setting with anything other than flower and flower + s.

And my hands shake when I try to hold them still (my muscles don't work properly) and I can't focus on the image in the small screeny thing at all. (I'm very long-sighted - my eyeballs have elongated so much with age that I now have about 5-8 different focal points in each eye - all of them falling considerably short of my retinas.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 02:38:38 PM »
I apologise for being flippant Sue - had overlooked your difficulties (which I should have remembered) :-[.    As for tips on taking pics. - I am the least knowledgable, and probably succeed only because my 'brownie' is quite a good piece of kit.      All I do is turn the knob to macro, and press the sutter button.       Perhaps someone else with vastly more experience might give Sue some guidance please.
Reynold's is my shorthand for the book in question.......which is  -  'The Glass of John Walsh Walsh 1850 - 1951' by Eric Reynolds  -  pub. 1999, and essential for anyone who wishes to collect Walsh glass seriously.
P.S.   if ever you should get this piece of glass back............... ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 02:51:42 PM »
It's Christine's if it ever leaves the person who has it Paul, sorry. All pre-arranged!  :ooh:

And I do try to appear "normal" despite my difficulties - so my tactics are obviously working - thanks for the reassurance!   :24:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 09:36:39 AM »
 :hi:  Hi Guys a couple of months back i listed a Walsh Kenilworth decanter and six glasses for very little money on ebay , not one bid!!!
i have got several different sets all with  decanters and matching glasses but havnt bothered to list them , i sold the big vaseline vase shown  on the front cover of Erics book at the auction at Bourne end , it didnt go as high as expected , but thats how things are at the moment . Somewhere i have got the DVD that Eric made and sold for charity if i can find it i will check it out as i didnt have a player when Eric sent me it . i also have at least three of grapes and vine glasses , all different . I did sell 4 beautiful cut whisky glasses... a committee member of the glass association bought them they were fabulous , he was over the moon with them . Good taste .

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 12:45:40 PM »
Get a tripod Sue, one of the small tabletop ones would probably do for close-up jobs... no more shakes then.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 01:17:22 PM »
 :-[
I've got one. I just forgot I have it.  :ooh:
But I still haven't a clue how far to have the camera from an object (or objects) for the different settings beyond flower + s. It's why I've not been able to put much in on the "show your displays" threads!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 12:52:05 AM »
If the camera is digital, I would simply take several pictures at various distances and choose the best one Sue. But what I have the worst time remembering is that if you have it on micro, then you can't adjust the zoom lens. Just move the camera (on or off the tripod) closer or further away. But again, if it is digital all you are wasting are shutter clicks and as long as your fingers hold out, you have an infinite number of them.

Carolyn

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 07:40:09 AM »
Sue's camera will zoom on macro Carolyn. I've read the manual. Some will some won't.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 11:28:39 AM »
 :-[
It sounds like I'm making loads of excuses, but I've got serious short-term memory problems - I've just got myself in horrible tangles trying to remember which setting and how far I am away for each pic which doesn't turn out!

For example, trying to take a pic of my shelves. The shelves occupy most of the wall in the sitting room, and I can get about 12' away from them.

Should I be using the flower, the head, the double head or the mountains? I've tried them all and got nowhere!

I only need an approximate range, then I can fiddle with finding the exact distance - otherwise I'm going to need to fiddle between 8" and 80' on each setting - and the even thought of that is just too much to bear, it would be a lot of work and lots of up and down stuff - and I need all my up and down stuff abilities to get the washing hung up and the dishwasher emptied. I ain't got any to spare!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand