No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walsh 'Fruiting Vine' pattern.  (Read 12252 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Walsh 'Fruiting Vine' pattern.
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 12:21:57 PM »
Do you have to choose the distance? Is there not an auto focus setting for everything except macro and super macro? For your shelves, the double head. Think of K and I standing in front of them. Email me your camera model number again please  :kissy:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 01:14:45 PM »
There's a p-auto setting, whatever that is. :pb:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 08:43:45 PM »
Paul

Thanks to your reply I can see the centre of the leaf is paler and will remember that for future reference, until I saw your glass I was not sure of the maker. The finger bowl is kept in my everyday cupboard and was used for cream on Christmas day.

The hock glasses are uranium and it was unfortunate that one was dropped between getting out of a taxi and the front door, I have never known the maker but always thought they may be mainland Europe. I do keep looking for a replacement but not really hopefull as you say similar glasses were made by many companies in many countries

Roy

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 03:20:07 PM »
Paul, could you do me a favour please if you still have these glasses?  Could you look at the ring that is part way up the stem and tell me if it is a 'knop' that the bowl of the glass is joined to the stem with, or is it literally an applied ring of glass around the piece.
Looking at Sue's version, the colour of the bowl goes down under the ring, so I'm hoping it's an applied ring rather than a 'blob' knop that joins the bowl with the stem if you see what I mean?
many thanks
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 03:31:36 PM »
I think the colour going down is an optical effect, not reality. (from memory)
Paradisetrader owns it, m.  ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 03:55:01 PM »
Thanks Sue, yes you're right and I'm an idiot ;) It shows that in the book and also looking at my iridescent vase it isn't an applied ring at all. It's a blob of glass that the bowl is kind of squished into if you see what I mean.  So the blob comes slightly up the sides of the bowl as though someone balanced it on top of the knop then thought ' I know, I'll just push it down a bit to make sure it's secure'  ;D
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
Here's a pic which might show it better.
And another pic, which is looking down into the bowl and showing off the effects of the cutting, just because I've found it and its pretty.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 09:23:58 PM »
hello m  -  and your later comments are correct  -  this component at the base of the bowl is certainly not applied.    I'm definitely no expert of the construction of drinking glasses, but I believe that Walsh used the traditional method of making these glasses  i.e.  in three parts.....bowl.....stem....foot, and it appears that your 'blob/knop' is constructed as an integral part of the stem.           Oddly, the construction of these particular glasses presents a possible anomaly when it comes to describing this component which, although rather academic, I'm sure could spill a lot of ink.
As we know, these decorative additions on stems are described, usually, as knops.          Historically that decorative swelling that joined the bowl to the stem was called 'nodus' in Latin, but in Britain we took the Dutch spelling of 'knoop' or 'knop'  -  however, with the passing of time it appears that it became standard practise to use 'knop' only when this decorative swelling is specifically part of the stem, and lower than the junction of bowl and stem.     It also became the norm to describe those swellings/components that occur at the junction of the body and stem as a collar or merese (used originally to hide or mask the (perhaps) crude joint).
And the point of all this ............because with these Walsh glasses the 'ring' occurs at the very base of the bowl - where it joins the stem.
So, Peter, what would you call it  -  a bladed knop, or merese/collar :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 12:52:54 AM »
Paul thank you for looking for me and the extra information.  My vase is in three parts, foot, knop, bowl.  There is no stem.    The bowl is pushed down into the knop so the knop appears to raise up the sides of the bowl and the knop is shaped like a diabolo, so it has a mirror image bit that flattens over the foot slightly if you see what I mean.
I'll add a more descriptive photo on my thread about the vase showing this more clearly.  I was wondering if the knop on your glass is the same basically as that description of my vase? ie the bowl of the glass is pushed down into the knop?
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 09:08:29 AM »
confused of Surrey (UK) writes..............."sorry m, I've rather lost the plot on whatever other item it is that you are cross referencing to ("an iridescent vase???) - you haven't included a link as far as I can see, and being a smimple cuntry ladd I am now a bit lost" :)
However, I can confirm your assumption re the method of connecting bowl and stem on my 'Fruiting Vine' glasses, and it does certainly appear that the pointy bottom of the bowl is inserted into a small cavity of sorts - formed as a depression in the collar/merese at the top of the stem.     As we said earlier, I guess it just allows for a little neatness in that paticular area of construction.
Going to Kew now for a rest :24:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand