No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Two Mdina vases, further info appreciated :-)  (Read 48676 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Re: Two Mdina vases, further info appreciated :-)
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2013, 10:45:05 AM »
I think my Mdina collection has improved quite a bit:
big cylinder vase (25.5 cm high, 10.5 cm wide), circular polished pontil mark with Mdina "signature" -- I guess my first early piece :)

As it seems very similar to >> this one I would think "Rosenthal" pattern, and Michael Harris period?

One nice feature: if held against the light the turquoise pattern becomes translucent and purplish-brown (see pic).

Michael

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2013, 11:24:54 AM »
Hi Michael - Very nice addition to your Mdina collection! :) A large Rosenthal cylinder vase and fairly hard to find.

These I think are all fairly early and were introduced around 1971 I think, they were also produced after Michael left i believe, although not for that long. This design looks great in the light, personally i think its one of the nicest designs that  they produced, certainly a favourite of mine. Congratulations on a super find!  :)

Greg

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2013, 12:42:11 PM »
It looks suspiciously like Dobson's handwriting in the polished pontil mark on your fabby Rosenthal cylinder...  ;D
(from what I can make out of it)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2013, 03:00:12 PM »
Thanks a lot Greg and Sue!
Fabby, isn't it :D

Sorry for not capturing the mark better...

What about the strange effect of the opaque turquoise swirls turning purple against the light? - Is it always happening with this colour?

Michael

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2013, 03:25:35 PM »
That's the beauty of glass and colour - it does things quite differently to paint.  ;D

When you see blue glass, the chemical make up of the glass is such that blue light is reflected back to you from it - it absorbs all the other colours.

When you see yellow glass, it is yellow being reflected back at you, all the other colours are absorbed.

When you look through glass which is a layer of blue over a layer of yellow, all that gets through is the red/purple end of the spectrum - because both blue and yellow wavelenghts are being reflected off the other side, only reddy purple gets through it.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2013, 07:56:03 PM »
Thanks Sue for explaining the matter further.
I still am not sure if I understand it properly, but I do appreciate your effort ;D
At least the colour change does work - and looks great.

Michael

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »
And one more, rather early, too I think:

purple pulled ear vase, lots of iridescence.
It is so dark that it looks almost black; even held against the light there is only a faint hint of the amethyst base colour visible...

Michael

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2013, 05:22:59 PM »
The very best sort of ear-pull!
A lovely egg-shape with the sculptural effect of the pulls enhancing rather than detracting overall, completed perfectly with the small and neat button rim; the very dark amethyst background really shows the iridesence and other silver chloride effects up - and the whole shape sends the silver effects off at differing angles, swirling and sweeping over it.
It's elegant - not a word which can often be applied to early Studio glass.
The button rim would suggest pre-'Boffo; the whole thing says; "Michael Harris made me," to me.
Everything about it is just "right", isn't it?  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2013, 09:08:52 PM »
Ooh, more praise than I had expected :D
Thanks a lot, Sue!

I just wished it was a little bit more transparent to see the interior better...

Michael

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2013, 11:10:36 AM »
I've just got hold of mine to compare - and to try to see if I can see through it.
I've got more iridesence (tons and tons  ;D ) - but the positioning of the lugs on yours is so much better than mine, the profile is a far, far more pleasing sculpture and a much stronger artistic statement. :P

I've held it up to the light and peered trhough the rim. I can see shades of amethyst and purple (yes, proper deep purple, but this must be something to do with colours overlapping and the physics of transmission and refraction rather than a deep purple glass.
The clear casing on mine is very thick - and it has that diffuse electric blue cloudy effect through it.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand