No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kosta vase signed B-W 325  (Read 9992 times)

Offline msiscoe

• Members
Kosta vase signed B-W 325
« on: January 01, 2012, 02:35:04 AM »
Hello, can anyone identify the designer of this vase. I can find no information on the signature "B-W". I thought it might be B-H for Elis Bergh.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330661397666?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Kosta vase signed B-W 325
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 02:01:49 PM »
I does look like a W though. :-\

Elis Bergh was often denoted with just a B so could the W 325 be engraver and design number?

John

Offline msiscoe

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 02:09:42 PM »
The book "Scandinavian Glass, Smoke and Ice" has a limited section on Kosta signatures with their known designer codes, and B-W is not there, hence the mystery

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass

Offline msiscoe

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 04:40:22 PM »
That's what I was hoping for, it really is a nice piece. Thank you for your input, and Happy New Year from the USA.... :hi:

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 06:19:08 AM »
If it were by Bergh, then, according to Swedish Glass Factories, the 325 number would mean it was designed in 1932. It doesn't look like a pre WW II design to my eye. The book also says that designs that were still being produced in 1958 were all given the prefix BH.  I've seen the simple "B," but not "B-W." 

John, does it look a Bergh to you?

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 09:22:28 AM »
A search on Bergh BW turn up a number of vases, all with engravings on them.

the BH in Swedish Glass factories are not engraved - It's quite likely that BH is the Bergh equivalent of LH for Lindstrand, and BW equates to LG.

If this is the case, 325 could be from later at Kosta.

This is all circumstantial though, we need someone with the right piece of paper !

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 09:51:37 AM »
John, does it look a Bergh to you?

I don't know, I don't have enough experience of his work to say one way or the other. :-\

John

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 07:06:49 AM »
No sign of it in "Swedish Glass Factories, production catalogues 1915 - 1960". Strange..
Good luck in your hunt!

Offline stoneycreek

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • art glass
    • U.S.
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 07:54:23 PM »
I have a heavy clear glass vase, 5-sided, 6-1/4 inches tall, 4 inches wide at top, with an incuse frosted design of a nude male figure holding what appears to be a large double-tailed fish over his head.   The bottom of the vase is marked Kosta B W 217.  I have read some of the other responses, which only adds to the mystery.   I wonder what the full name of the Kosta factory was - such as Kosta Boda Werke ? Or if the B refers to Elis Bergh?   If the numerals are a reverse coded date, then this could be July, 1921.  Thanks for any ideas!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand