No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Erik Hoglund person decanter  (Read 4721 times)

Offline chezholloway

• Members
Erik Hoglund person decanter
« on: January 02, 2012, 04:52:30 PM »
Hello,

I have some questions about  Erik Hoglund's person decanters and their stoppers.

I have had one of these decanters (marked Boda H 1331 0r possibly Boda H L 331) for some time.  Recently, I found what looks to be the correct stopper for this bottle.  Here are my questions:

1.  Were all of these decanters originally sold with a stopper?

2.  Is this stopper a Hoglund stopper, and could it have been used on this style decanter?

3.  As you can see, the stopper does not fit well.  Does having a stopper affect the value such that I should have it ground to fit?

Thanks very much for looking,

Adair 

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Erik Hoglund person decanter
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 09:31:54 PM »
Interesting dilemma.... I do not know if they always had stoppers but I suspect this design may have.

You should be able to tell if it was originally fitted for a stopper because the inside of the neck will have been ground and then most likely polished - look for a slight change in profile, the ground and polished section may be smoother too.

Here is another example and the stopper sits quite high: http://starkeld.com/prod_img/normal/5122%20Hoglund%20flaska%201.jpg

Also: http://www.freeformsusa.com/glass/misc/DSC_0205l.jpg
The stoppers on all three in the link above sit low and snug, I would guess all were originally fitted like that.

For what it is worth, if it was mine I think I would have the stopper fitted properly, there is of course always the slight risk that something may go wrong.

By the way, definitely a Hoglund stopper.

John

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 04:59:20 PM »
 Hi Adair i had a few all with loose stoppers and was told they were American versions . The quality was nothing like the Hoglund ones , more like bottles than decanters the stopper pegs were hollow with open end  on mine  . i saw a Hogland one totally different quality  than mine .

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 05:04:27 PM »
both are designed by EH. The fit seems good enough. They focused on quantity at that time so i wouldn't worry too much about the fit.

Offline chezholloway

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 09:21:58 PM »
Thank you all for your valuable input.

After a careful look, I found a ground and polished section in the rim, so I think it did have a stopper.  And, although this stopper sits high, it does not wobble or wiggle, so....

Other than cleaning the bottle, I think I will leave it as is. 

Adair

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand