No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pamela? Glen? Anyone know about this Dresser Set?  (Read 11430 times)

Offline AlmasAttic

• Members
    • Remtique
Pamela? Glen? Anyone know about this Dresser Set?
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2006, 10:44:00 PM »
very interesting discussion!

these are my green Nymphen candlesticks

they are a somewhat paler green than this new set yet still similarly satinized
(all glow under blacklight and so must have uranium content?)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2006, 10:49:53 PM »
Glen, that is exactly what I am investigating - let us ask Mauerhoff first please. Just to underline: the glossy 'Berlin' is local purchase, the matt is of UK origin  :roll:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2006, 10:55:09 PM »
Cheri, Nymphen: these are mine
http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/tafelaufsaetze/00634.html
mind the base and arms please!
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.

Offline AlmasAttic

• Members
    • Remtique
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2006, 11:00:07 PM »
wow! yes, I have those in blue Pamela

so are there not TWO different styles of Nymphen candlesticks then?
I just assumed that the green ones were another version of them!
So maybe the green ones are not Walther then?
If not...who????

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2006, 11:12:02 PM »
Cheri, a mould is a mould - and I do not know whether Walther made different moulds for this Scheiner design - quite frank, I do not think so
 :cry:
we should measure our figurines by the "my" to find out really - look at this one: (I am sure it is fake)
http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/tafelaufsaetze/00666.html
compared with the original:
http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/tafelaufsaetze/00644.html
Pamela

Offline AlmasAttic

• Members
    • Remtique
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2006, 11:40:43 PM »
yes, I sure can see the difference in those flower frog figurines!

well thank you again Pamela! I have learned SO MUCH from  this discussion  :) as always, you are a wealth of information, and thanks for being so generous with your time to share it.

I will post back here if I am able to get any more info on the green dresser set.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2006, 08:32:41 AM »
Pamela, DOH!  :oops:  I just clicked on the links but didn't scroll down!  Of course both vases were there!   :roll:  Sorry! :oops:

Cheri, I had a pair of the 'one arm up and one down' 'Nymphen' candlesticks.  I have seen both variations a few times since I sold mine, and have come to feel that it was the 'both arms up' ones which were Walther, and the others 'Czech'  :shock:  

IMHO the 'one arm down' version are not as pretty as the 'both arms up'  :roll:   I wonder if you (and Pamela) would agree with my view that Walther ladies tend to be much prettier?  On that basis alone I just have a 'gut-feeling' that the 'one arm down' mermaids are not Walther.  Their faces certainly aren't as sweet looking as the 'arms up' mermaids, nor the ones on the lids of the powder bowls, and certainly nowhere near as lovely as one on the tray!   :shock:
Leni

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2006, 10:58:56 AM »
I have many thoughts, questions and comments with regard to these issues.

1. To the best of my knowledge, the Nymphen candlesticks are not shown in any Walther catalogs that I am aware of.

2. The candlesticks were surely part of the toilette set that Walther made - the tray and covered jar are shown in the known Walther catalogs.

3. Re. the variation on Nymphen candlesticks.... it is surely possible that Walther had more than one mould for what must have been a popular item. The two different styles are known in the typical Walther colors. Possibly one version was a new (easier) model. Sowerby did exactly that with the Covered Swan - made a new mould that was easier to produce.  Maybe the "less pretty" Nymphen was a later Walther version.

Don't forget that Walther were making glass to sell. In quantity.

4. I have satin effect items that I can only see in 1930s catalogs from Walther - Marina centerpiece and Nuremberg basket.

5. Many glass companies exported specific colors or patterns to certain areas of the world. Fact.

Just a few thoughts.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand