No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walsh walsh pompeian uranium bubble vase???  (Read 2056 times)

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
Walsh walsh pompeian uranium bubble vase???
« on: January 07, 2012, 01:37:26 PM »
Ive a gut feeling this coud be by walsh it has a large polished pontil scar ive found no mark as yet but the colour doesnt allow for seeing it very well i have no means to test for uranium glass but it does look as though it maybe uranium!
It measures 8" tal approx any ideas??
thanks

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Walsh walsh pompeian uranium bubble vase???
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 03:36:07 PM »
There is a blue version of yours in 'The Glass of John Walsh Walsh',page 46 so I'd say yes  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 04:00:10 PM »
I'm not sure it's uranium. I can't see any indication anywhere of even a hint that the uv present in daylight is doing anything glowy....

but it does look like Pompeian.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 05:24:41 PM »
to my eyes the second picture showing the upper side of the foot, does look as though it has a slight fluorescent tinge.     You might try Dirk's suggestion of testing for u. content by holding close to a blue tv screen.     Regret I now can't seem to find the thread in which that matter was discussed, but it was no more than a week ago. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 07:19:57 PM »
It may be not be uranium. I concluded a while ago that not all green Pompeian was. Certainly looks like Walsh Walsh

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 08:24:07 PM »
Ive never handled it in the past so wasnt sure im glad ive handled some now, I like the stuf!!
The pictures were not the best for showing the colour of green i will try to get better some others i took it really glowed well.
ive just looked at your gallery christine and noticed a clock i was offered last week which i turned down it was the heinrich hoffman one but in red it was £40 and i didnt know anything about it so i turned it down.
Thankyou for the help with it very nice thanks :smg:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand