No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Wonderful faceting, but who made it?  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Longshanks

• Members
Wonderful faceting, but who made it?
« on: January 07, 2012, 07:01:12 PM »
I have been very fortunate to inherit this terrific weight, the millefiori & faceting looks of the highest quality. 3" dia, 2 1/8th" high with a printie top. Could someone please help with ID? Many thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
Re: Wonderful faceting, but who made it?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 08:11:18 PM »
Definately 100% Whitefriars.  I can't see a monk cane in there, but have a close look, if there is one, should be obvious.  Not all whitefriars weights had them though...

Ian

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 09:26:12 PM »

I don't think there are monk canes until the early 1970s.  Whitefriars made a few weights in the 1950s, and greater numbers in the 1960s, but the majority were in the 1970s - and most of these have monk / date canes. There are one or two early pieces around from the mid 1930s - 1950s, but I am not sure that anyone can distinguish them from Walsh Walsh pieces.  If someone out there has good diagnostics on these, please shout!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Longshanks

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 09:34:22 PM »
Thank you Ian & Alan for your comments. Definately no Monk Cane present. It was collected by my great-grandfather in the Birmingham area pre-WW2, I will ask my mother if she can provide any other info. Thanks again, David.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 12:29:22 PM »
   Thats a beautifull weight, well done. Regards Roger.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand