Author Topic: Wonderful faceting, but who made it?  (Read 400 times)

Offline Longshanks

• Members
Wonderful faceting, but who made it?
« on: January 07, 2012, 07:01:12 PM »
I have been very fortunate to inherit this terrific weight, the millefiori & faceting looks of the highest quality. 3" dia, 2 1/8th" high with a printie top. Could someone please help with ID? Many thanks.

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
Re: Wonderful faceting, but who made it?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 08:11:18 PM »
Definately 100% Whitefriars.  I can't see a monk cane in there, but have a close look, if there is one, should be obvious.  Not all whitefriars weights had them though...

Ian

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • My Paperweights Website
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 09:26:12 PM »

I don't think there are monk canes until the early 1970s.  Whitefriars made a few weights in the 1950s, and greater numbers in the 1960s, but the majority were in the 1970s - and most of these have monk / date canes. There are one or two early pieces around from the mid 1930s - 1950s, but I am not sure that anyone can distinguish them from Walsh Walsh pieces.  If someone out there has good diagnostics on these, please shout!

Alan
Alan
The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton. Please feel free to contact me direct if you do not agree with my comments and do not wish to make your concerns known by posting in this thread.
 http://www.pwts.co.uk

Offline Longshanks

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 09:34:22 PM »
Thank you Ian & Alan for your comments. Definately no Monk Cane present. It was collected by my great-grandfather in the Birmingham area pre-WW2, I will ask my mother if she can provide any other info. Thanks again, David.

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 12:29:22 PM »
   Thats a beautifull weight, well done. Regards Roger.

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Enter key words
Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com