No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Peill & Putzler Dinner plates - any info or history on these?  (Read 8087 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Peill & Putzler Dinner plates - any info or history on these?
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 10:16:56 PM »
fingers crossed you get a reply  - be interesting to hear what they say.
btw the plate rack disaster sounds bad :-X  I remember someone here once saying their shelves of glass had collapsed - I live in fear especially since a huge antique mirror fell off our wall just before Christmas.
m

Offline Sarahw

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 04:17:12 PM »
Well, this is what I get  for "contactin' Gus" at Tiffany:

Dear Mrs. [SarahW],

Thank you for contactin gus.

The Tiffany Archives can be reached as follows:

Tiffany Archives
Attn: Web Request
15 Sylvan Way
Parsippany, N.J. 07054

Telephone: (973)254-7201
Fax: (973)254-7205

If you are interested in further information about our Archive Services,
please visit the following URL:

http://www.tiffany.com/Service/faq.aspx?FAQ_CATEGORY=63

Please call our representatives if you require further assistance
or would like to place an order. They can be contacted at
1-800-843-3269.

Sincerely,
name overwritten, lets just call her Gus
Tiffany.com

Well good gravy I went to the archive site and the fee for asking "what year was the Rock-cut pattern introduced"  is announced as $1000, possibly more (Unless I am a scholar or journalist with a specific purpose and a note from my superior satisfying Tiffany). 

As you would expect I am not quite ready to shell out a grand for satisfaction of my curiosity.

I am planning to write a "hail mary" letter to the archive department asking for assistance anyway,  or maybe a fee commensurate with a ten-minute-combines look-up and email, but I will not be holding my breath and expect a snippy return to sender.

Offline Sarahw

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 04:25:13 PM »
I guess you aren't the only one at your house flying free!  That's what my plates wanted too, I guess,  although based on evidence and guilty looks I think Spitty McGitty might have been climbing where she shouldn't. 

Offline Sarahw

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 08:36:14 PM »
AHA!  In your face, Tiffany customer service/$1000 inquiry fee!    So I found purveyor of T. catalogs on Ebay, and inquired about any listing for rock-cut in the catalog.   The 1970-71  catalog has the full range (dessert bowls, plates, etc).  When my new catalog gets here,  I will scan it for posterity.

On a sadder but wiser note,  I snapped up two 12 inch service plates in Tiffany rock cut for my new collection.
They got to me intact, but they were 10 inch dinner plates.  Boo and NAY. So, I'm kind of disgruntled.   I would not have offered what I did for good condition dinner plates.  I hope the seller just sent me the wrong ones but I kind of think I will be stuck.  I  hope she at least adjusts the price  without being mean to me.  Item of interest for this thread- these also have no tiffany & co etched mark - but they do have a Peill and Putzler embossed mark!

They ARE in the  "good" condition advertised.   There is a big bubble flaw in one of the rims,  and they have lots of utensil marks and some clouding.   I will bet there is a forum heading here for clearing up/polishing up clouded crystal.   The rims are not clouded so I'm not quite sure of the diagnosis  and therefore uncertain of the best treatment.

Offline Sarahw

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 08:52:51 PM »
The absence of a Tiffany mark is interesting to me,  as is the push-back of the Tiffany-date all the way back from 1994 to 1970-71,  which is a date that makes more sense if Truex is the designer (or commissioner).   That molded mark appears on earlier pieces of Peill and Putzler. 

I recall reading some opinions of Truex that he had to use the German factories to get the craftsmanship he wanted or something along those lines.   I believe he felt the real technical precision in factory produced glass was just not here in this country at least not in relative terms to the German stuff.    I never found any hard link between Peill &P. and Tiffany but there clearly is one.  My big question remains - did Truex design (in which case his influence permeates designs of the period at P&P) or did he commission/collaborate that design?     

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 09:52:50 AM »
Sarah sorry I can't help any further - and a big raspberry to Tiffany for asking such a huge sum to help with id - I know they have new glass to sell and that is their main focus of course....however, goodwill goes such a long way.  Who knows what you may have bought new from them had they been overly cooperative and helpful.
Wtih regards the misdescribed plates, I would have thought that sending them back would be appropriate - they have cloudy marks and they are the wrong size - so not as described.
m

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 07:28:17 AM »
Hi Sarah, I'm also a Peill & Putzler enthousiast, though I only collect vases. Unfortunately P&P catalogues are nowhere to be found - believe me, I've tried. I've checked the one book I have on the company, but for the few pages that they show their products, none are devoted to plates of any kind. Vases and drinking glasses apparently where their main concern.

If your plate wasn't marked P&P I would have guessed it to be Nachtmann. Nachtmann did a lot of OEM work for US companies, and their design style favours this sort of plate (in crystal or glass) (just browse a current Nachtmann catalogue online and you'll see what I mean).

PS - If you ever get your hands on a P&P catalogue that features vases, no matter what age, please let me know. I'd love to have a scan.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand