No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art Nouveau Glass Lamp - (?) Berlouse  (Read 3957 times)

Offline tsallati

• Members
Art Nouveau Glass Lamp - (?) Berlouse
« on: March 10, 2006, 05:13:56 PM »
Hi all,

Wonder whether there is someone in the ether who knows about the origins of my lamp - from the mushroom-like design and colouration I would surmise that it is an early 20th century French Art Nouveau lamp in Daum style.  I am further led to this conclusion as in my travels I have seen blown glass vases with similar colouration by Berlouse - hence the title of the post.

However, the signature as shown is clearly not Berlouse and I am unable to clearly make it out.  I am certain it is the name of the designer but searches have so far yielded nothing.  The same signature is also on the base.

Unfortunately it was purchased with the base in several pieces, but they have been carefully glued together and I don't think I would ever part with it!

Can anyone give me any pointers?  It is always good to be educated about these things!

Best wishes

Tom

http://i2.tinypic.com/r29g7n.jpg
http://i2.tinypic.com/r29get.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 05:24:10 PM »
The signature says. A(?). France.
So French it is. As to maker, I don't know, sorry. :cry:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tsallati

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 05:54:42 PM »
Well you would think so, but if you look more closely, it is A. and then the next word begins with "E", rather than "A" as the base of the letter is joined

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 05:55:27 PM »
Tom and Della, could it also be

et. France  ?

Etling?

et is French for English and

:roll:  :?
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 06:39:36 PM »
Hi Tom,
I was just going off how my children are taught to write here on the continent and that is exactly how my daughter writes France.

Hi Pamela,
It is really difficult to see. Oooh how frustrating.  :evil:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 08:31:48 PM »
Della, seconded  -  that's how also my children were taught to write  :wink:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 08:32:44 PM »
and me too, by the way  :roll:
Pamela

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 08:27:26 AM »
That is the "Lampe Odéon" from the "Chardin" range of La Rochère as found in the 2001 winter collection catalogue - I'm not sure you'll find it on their website http://www.larochere.com/ too, I didn't stop to look.
 :roll:

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 11:41:41 AM »
I had thought it looked like the lamps you see in Paris now, but as it was a few years since I was last there did not trust my memory.

Offline tsallati

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 02:25:03 PM »
Is it possible to see a picture?  I don't wish to question but you see, it doesn't explain the signature and I forgot to mention previously, the cable which powers the lamp is early 20th century, certainly not 2001.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand