No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hobbs Coin Spot Tapered Shaker - Canary Yellow?  (Read 3749 times)

Offline Marie Chauvin

• Members
Hobbs Coin Spot Tapered Shaker - Canary Yellow?
« on: March 10, 2006, 05:28:44 PM »
Hi
My name is Marie and I'm a new member looking for help on identifying a shaker that I have.  I believe it's a Hobbs Coin Spot Tapered Shaker because I found one pictured in blue in the "Victorian Colored Pattern Glass" Book.  The book indicated that this style was also made in Canary Yellow.  The shaker I have appears to be a very pale yellow with white spots.  I don't know if the one I have is considered Canary Yellow or not and hoped that someone could help with this.  Any assistance you can give will be greatly appreciated.  

I've posted pictures at this site if you'd like to take a look

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e342/MarieC123/DSC00616.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e342/MarieC123/DSC00615.jpg

Thanks[/url]

Offline Ron

• Members
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 07:48:51 PM »
Yes, yours was called canary when it was made by Hobbs in the 1800's. Today that color is usually referred to as vaseline.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 08:26:51 PM »
warm welcome to GMB, Marie!
I cannot help I am afraid, but your shaker is stunning  :D
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Marie Chauvin

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 10:23:58 PM »
Hi and thanks for the quick response and for welcoming me into the fold.  
I appreciate the help.  At least I know now the approximate age and the true color!  Is this color rare as the book seems to indicate?

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 11:28:17 PM »
"RARE", "SCARCE" "UNIQUE" and "VINTAGE" are subjective terms.  If an author has only seen one or two, they might label it as rare or scarce.  However, a lot of books that were written "pre-internet" or pre-eBay need to be taken with a a large grain of salt.  eBay is the great equalizer.  At any given time, you can find 5-8 Teaberry gum stands on ebay.  i just checked, and right now, there are 3 of them.  More times than I can count, someone adds the word, RARE to the subject line (but curiously, of the 3 up right now, no one used that word).  

UNIQUE means "only one".  yeah....right!
SCARCE means, "I have not seen another one today"
VINTAGE means, it is not brand new in the box.

Having said that, it is a nice piece, it will glow under a blacklight, and anyone who collects shakers or vaseline glass would like to add one to their collection!  If you are planning on keeping it, Rarity does not matter, cuz you have one!  If you are planning on selling it, those who will be interested will be interested because it fills a spot in their collection.  Superlatives are not needed on this item.....It speaks for itself.  A very nice piece!

Mr. Vaseline Glass  :lol:

Offline Marie Chauvin

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 01:00:27 AM »
:D  A valuable lesson well learned - and I just joined!  Thanks so much!!
Marie

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 07:30:08 PM »
Hello:

Your sugar sifter was made by Hobbs Brockunier in the mid 1880s.  They called this pattern Polka Dot.  It is indeed canary opalescent which is a very desirable colour.

Very nice!

Sid

Offline Ron

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 05:50:26 PM »

Offline Marie Chauvin

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 01:16:26 AM »
Hi and thanks for the info!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand