No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Molineaux Webb pickle jars  (Read 1677 times)

Offline neilh

• Members
Molineaux Webb pickle jars
« on: January 10, 2012, 07:00:01 PM »
Showing a Molineaux Webb pickle jar under registration number 143153 for 1890. The actual design reg shows a bowl but it seems there is a full tableware set lurking here as I've also seen a comport under this number.

There are only two other Molineaux Webb pickle jars bearing a registration number as far as I'm aware - registration 209414 from 1893, and registration 251393 from 1895.

However there are six to be found in the Molineaux Webb pressed glass catalogue. I don't have firm dates for these but they must be between 1840 and the early 1870s... also showing these here, anybody seen one? Not popped up on eBay yet!

Offline neilh

• Members
Re: Molineaux Webb pickle jars
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 08:39:07 PM »
Now that's what I call a coincidence. The celery for the same registration as the pickle jar has just come on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOLINEAUX-WEBB-PRESSED-GLASS-VASE-/320827292453?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item4ab2cbfb25

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 09:49:13 AM »
Admittedly my subject heading was hardly conducive to helping people find designs of pressed 'pickles' - which is why Neil you may not have seen this post from August last year:        http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,42711.0.html
At least I think this is the Molineaux Webb pattern No. 357 from your page of designs  -  but I could of course be wrong, it has been known ;).    I did think that the drawing/illustration on your post looked almost as though it had a 'star' on the top of the lid - but not sure  -  mine certainly doesn't.
My example is without any Rd. No. and shows very heavy wear on the flat outer foot rim.          The 'stone' remains the largest foreign body to date that I've seen in a piece of glass.

Like so many good intentions, pickles joined the ranks of saws, hammers, celeries, salts, match strikers, swans, knife rests, woodworking planes etc. etc. that I had every intention of becoming a world renowned collector of...........but like most of us discovered that I hadn't the time or space  -  but I do collect the odd pickle from charity shops and boot sales.    They remain quite common, and most non-collectors are unsure of what they really are, since pickles have probably long since ceased being kept in purpose made jars such as these.

I very much like the celery on ebay, although don't think I'd be prepared to pay that price  -  that flared rim shape is quite unusual for a celery, I think.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 10:23:26 AM »
Very interesting Paul, that does look like a match to me. That squared pattern seems to have come in circa 1850 so you have quite an old design there which would fit in with the suspected ages of items in the catalogue. I guess the large stone is a sign of the imperfections in early manufacture? I have a Molineaux Webb cut glass comport c1860s with a couple of black stones in them, though not as large as yours.

I've uncovered a few more early pressed items from Molineaux Webb which I'll stick in another post later this week. Agree that celery does look rather overpriced...

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 02:17:02 PM »
thanks Neil  -  look forward to your further pictures later this week.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand