No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dump Repaired With Metal Pins  (Read 1883 times)

Offline daveweight

• Members
Dump Repaired With Metal Pins
« on: January 14, 2012, 10:45:29 AM »
Hi All
Thought I would just share this with you, I found this Newell Post made with a dump weight which obviously fractured badly and someone has drilled holes in it then driven in two metal staples to hold it together and they have done the same on the other side.
I have seem many dumps but never one used as a Newell Post with the base still attached so this makes it just a little unusual and although I have seen this technique of using metal staples to repair plates and china items I had never seen it used on a glass weight before and wondered if there was a possibility drilling holes in it might have cuased further fractures ? I guess this repair was done many years ago and the eight holes were probably made using a hand drill rather than an electric one.
Anyone seen anything like this before please ?
Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
Re: Dump Repaired With Metal Pins
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 02:34:03 PM »
Hi Dave

20 years ago I found an early Paul Ysart at Newark which had been repaired in the same way. I removed the staples and still have the larger of the two halves which I had polished.

Having just looked at it again one hole still remain on either side of the weight and interestingly the holes are only 2 or 3 mm deep.

Regards

Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 11:51:08 AM »
I had a Walsh Walsh Kenilworth preserve pot repaired in the same way (part of a Hukin and Heath set).
m

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 02:48:53 PM »
Thanks Flying Free - Glad I am not the only one with a piece repaired like this
Dave

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 03:08:57 PM »
what a shame m - I'm a big fan of Walsh  -  and from what you're saying I take it that you no longer this piece - did you have the lid?

As Dave has commented, this particular method of repair is not uncommon on ceramics - plates in particular, and I've seen it on glass perhaps on only two or three occasions ever, and I'd agree that hand drilling was probably the only way of making the holes for the period that most were repaired.       They must have been skilled in producing just the right tension with these rivets, as mostly there is an absence of glue.     Hope Dave doesn't object to me showing a tankard of mine, with similar repair  - there are eight rivets in total, and I guess that in view of the method of applying the 'strap handle', the style of decoration, and the snapped pontil, that this piece dates from around 1840 - 1870  -  probably Bohemian or German I think.      I really only bought it for the copper wheel engraving - especially the bird in the cage effect.      It may be that rivets were applied before the thing disintegrated, although can't say when  -  and assume they were made from a non-ferrous material, otherwise rusty rivets would not prolong usability for very long.     Unsure of the capacity - think I'd rather not fill with water as it looks a bit iffy, and might not take the internal pressure.

I guess that with weights the depth of rivet is not so critical, but with ceramics and glass vessels it seems to be the case that frequently the rivets do not protrude the full thickness of the glass.   On this tankard, only half of the rivets extend to the inside.         Do yours stop before reaching the inside m??

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 03:10:32 PM »
apologies, I goofed with the pix :pb:  -  will the mods remove the two repeats please - thanks.

Mod: Done as requested.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 03:22:17 PM »
I think they went through Paul but I no longer have it - I very stupidly sold it for not a lot of money.  I don't often part with things I regret parting with, but that one I do. 
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand