No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kosta KK 104 Optical interior Engraved Nude surprised by fish- Decanter  (Read 7031 times)

Offline NorthwestUSA

• Members
Two (and a half) Questions on this one:

1.        was this designed between 1931 and 54-55? (the exact gap in the book reference showing the Kosta Catalogues) -
1 1/2.  KK?  Any insight?
2.        I suspect the stopper is not original - I would have expected a flat disc stopper - but since I cannot locate an image of this shape I have to assume it is not.

Regards,
Pam

Offline Daniel S

• Members
The stopper is a match I think. A flat one matches less good.

Unfortunately I don't remember seeing KK as a signature before. It may be the light but it looks like that KOSTA was written by one person and the rest by another.

Offline Greg.

• Members
Coincidentally I was looking at a small engraved Kosta vase at the weekend, which appeared to have been marked 'KK'. To date, still haven't managed to find out anything further to attribute these marks...

Just looking online, example below of another Kosta vase marked K-K

http://www.etsy.com/listing/64270226/vintage-kosta-vase

Offline ahremck

• Members
Just had a quick scan of the Kosta 250 book and it appears as if the second K might refer to engraved glass. 

resumably the first K refers to a designer - but I could not see a likely candidate.  It seems to me that this type of glass became fashionable with Bergh (B) and Lindstand(L*) so I guess it is 1930s to 1950s vintage - but I may be very wrong.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Greg.

• Members
Thanks Ross.

Is it possible that the second 'K' could therefore refer to 'Henning Koppel'..?

Offline NorthwestUSA

• Members
The stopper is a match I think. A flat one matches less good.

Unfortunately I don't remember seeing KK as a signature before. It may be the light but it looks like that KOSTA was written by one person and the rest by another.

Daniel - Thanks for the quick look and reply.  I will attach a new, clearer image of the signature for you.

Thank you so much for your time and assistance here.

Regards,
Pam

Offline NorthwestUSA

• Members
Ross  - Thank you for the lead from the Kosta 250 - I haven't found a candidate either for the first K.  I suspect this piece to have been made in the 1930s.  I have only the Swedish Glass Factories book and Ricke's Glas in Schweden to guide me.  Based on the latter it seems that the number 104 may indicate a date in the 1930s. (page 289 middle column)  If there is more information in the Kosta 250 book, then I may need to try to find one.

Greg. - I am constantly amazed at what just a few people can uncover - I never would have found that listing.     I don't believe that Henning Koppel (one of my favorite Danish designers) ever designed for Kosta - I could be wrong.

Regards,
Pam

Offline Greg.

• Members
Hi Pam,

This one looks interesting! - Looks the same as your decanter, although has a different stopper, marked K.K. 104. Also engraved Kosta 1936, T. Gronqvist.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1852137

Just to add, also came across a Gronqvist glass vase, with a similar engraving also dating to 1936, link below, for reference:

http://www.bonhams.com/eur/auction/14200/lot/595/

Greg

Offline NorthwestUSA

• Members
Hi Pam,

This one looks interesting! - Looks the same as your decanter, although has a different stopper, marked K.K. 104. Also engraved Kosta 1936, T. Gronqvist.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1852137

Just to add, also came across a Gronqvist glass vase, with a similar engraving also dating to 1936, link below, for reference:

http://www.bonhams.com/eur/auction/14200/lot/595/

Greg
Greg - you have struck gold with these references.

My sincere thanks!

Regards,
Pam

Offline cjf

• Members
"KK" means "Kosta Konstglas" ("konstglas" means art glass), which was a trademark used in the 30's (not 100% sure about the time, though). Most of it was desgined by Elis Bergh, but also other designers contributed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand