No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: BRITISH SAWREX COMMEMORATION CRYSTAL VASE GR 1937 ?  (Read 5536 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: BRITISH SAWREX COMMEMORATION CRYSTAL VASE GR 1937 ?
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 04:49:02 PM »
Paul — This is the first time I've come across SAWREX.   I hadn't seen the earlier topics.   To me it's obvious.   Whether you regard that as problem solved is up to you.   I'm happy with my explanation above, and, as far as I'm concerned, the problem is solved.   The match on the font is just confirmation (thanks, Allan for your comment, and Anne for the link).

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 05:08:45 PM »
not quite Bernard, see here............. http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,25288.msg9573.html#msg9573 ............and you suggested Stevens & Williams then, although in the absence of finding any written record of the word being used, there may have been some doubt as to your seriousness :).
Looking through 'The Crystal Years' it becomes obvious that they were into Royal Warrants in a very big way, and must have produced more pieces for the royal top draw than perhaps any other manufacturer.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 07:29:59 AM »
Paul — I had forgotten my first encounter with SAWREX.   It was over half a lifetime ago.   It wasn't that long since I had learnt to walk outdoors again.   I can remember it well.   Janet took me to the picnic spot at Thornborough, by the huge Roman tumuli, and made me walk from the car park to the medieval bridge and back, all of 200 yards.   I was terrified!   We dropped in there yesterday as we were passing, and went down to the bridge for a very short game of Poohsticks.

...   At the beginning of the '30s S&W were looking for a new name, and you may recall my suspicions about their trading in the USA under different names.   ...

I was being serious then, but my reply above was written from a new starting point.   Now I knew for certain about my Raybould Tazza and S&W's export production under the name Vernay.   So my assessment had changed from a strong possibility to certainty.   As I said above the match on the font is further confirmation.   Also the pontil finish on the piece in Anne's ebay link is so S&W, even more confirmation.   Attributions don't come much better than that!

Bernard C.  8)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 01:40:58 PM »

Whilst you may well be right Bernard, it is still only a hypothisis by yourself - and therefore not a certainty.

It has not been proved. By this token, many of my thoughts about glass and various manufacturers would have long been fact, however, rather than start an unfounded rumour (that is without factual evidence) that later might need changing I prefer to keep much of that to myself. Whilst it is good to suggest an idea, I suggest it is still just thought.

The Scots would say, at best, "NOT Proven".

Nigel

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 04:14:34 PM »
...   it is still only a hypothisis by yourself - and therefore not a certainty.   ...

Nigel — Ah.   So that's the problem.   Please would you give us a list of whose hypotheses are OK and whose are not.   It would be a great help to us all.    ;D

I note that you aren't yet ready for font evidence.   Please let us know when it becomes acceptable.   You better hurry up a little as you might find youself rather isolated.

... and finally, I can't think of any glassworks that would use a competitor's initials as the first half of their own new portmanteau brand or trading name.   Can you?

Bernard C.  8)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 04:25:57 PM »

I note that you aren't yet ready for font evidence

Really Bernard, where do I assert that?

And, you're happily ignoring this comment it seems:

you may well be right Bernard

Nigel

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 07:16:54 PM »
According to this link, the last known address for Sawrex was in Leicester
http://www.alertdata.co.uk/browsemorecompanies.php?start=Sa&page=813

This can sometimes mislead though. For example, the above site shows Molineaux Webb located in Birmingham rather than Manchester, but this is because after it closed down, the company name was taken by a Birmingham firm who continued to use the brand to produce lamps... so it's technically true that the brand of Molineaux Webb ended its days in Birmingham despite over 100 years in Manchester!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand