No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Trying to ID mushroom shaped lace paperweight  (Read 3290 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Trying to ID mushroom shaped lace paperweight
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 01:52:46 AM »
    Hi Tx, Fratelli Toso eh, wouldnt have known that, is he still making weights?

Fratelli Toso is one of the old Murano companies. They are still in business, but not as productive as they once were. Fratelli is Italian for brothers, so the company name simply means the Brothers Toso.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 06:13:04 PM »
I don't wish to cause conflict or throw a spanner in the works  :-\ but I thought Lattimo was for white or milk glass.
I thought filigrana were the type of lacy canes used and could denote coloured or white.  So they would be coloured filigrana or lattimo filigrano?
but not latticino
did I misunderstand somewhere? Is lattimo just used for solid pieces of milk glass then?
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 06:26:48 PM »
Some people refer to latticino as only the white. Other people include the colored type as well. This makes sense, really, because the colored variety is often made by using colored lattimo. The color is either on the surface or in the filaments themselves. Lattimo in the US is called milk glass. Colored milk glass is called things like black milk glass, pink milk glass, etc. The same can, in my mind, be said for latticino. Insisting the lattimo only be the white variety may be being a bit too picky.

I don't think either school of thought is wrong. One can get around the words by calling the twists zanfirico. The only problem here is when it comes to selling. People usually use the keyword "latticino," and not "zanfirico." So merchants use latticino for the sake of the people looking for this type glass.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 07:21:04 PM »
 :) thanks Anita - I had become really confused about the terminology  :ooh:
m