No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Secondhand Glass Shops In Venice?  (Read 3303 times)

Offline Mister Loco

• Members
Secondhand Glass Shops In Venice?
« on: January 13, 2012, 09:31:09 AM »
Hello.  We're going to back to Venice in April and are staying on Murano this time.  Obviously, we'll be visiting as many glass shops as we can and hope to bring back a nice piece or two.  Does anyone know of any any shops selling older (50's/60's) secondhand glass anywhere in Venice?  I've been there a couple of times before and don't recall any or have I just not been looking hard enough?  Thanks.

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Re: Secondhand Glass Shops In Venice?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 12:21:15 PM »
There are at least one or two, or there was about 5 years ago.  I'm afraid I don't recall the name or where they were exactly, we just came across them while wandering through the wonderful maze of streets.  I think they were somewhere between San Marco Square and Rialto Bridge, if that helps.  From what I remember they were a bit of a let down though, quite small, with not much stock, and VERY high prices.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 08:44:58 PM »
I think I was in the same two as Wayne. One was owned by Rosella Junck, http://www.rossellajunck.it/venice_murano_glass/PUBB.asp?lingua=uk

And one was between the Academmia bridge and San Marcos Square.  Both were very expensive. The latter one was my favorite as the owner, a very knowledgeable gentlemen of at at least 75, gave me tour with translation done by a young assistant. I'm not at home right now so I can't locate the name (the store doesn't have an Internet presence). I'll look it up when I get home in February. I remember a fabulous Dino Marten's Oriente piece, and my favorite, a slightly irridized Scarpa bowl that I was determined to buy until I found out it was €12,000. Call me cheap, but....

Enjoy!

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 10:18:52 PM »
But wandering through the outer streets further from the centre a few years ago, I did come across a very small antiques shop packed to the gunnels with stuff, where I bought a pretty small oil painting and some old Murano glass chandelier drops (that was all that was affordable in the shop) - again I'm afraid I can't remember where it was, but it was certainly not dead near the square.  Last year I came across none though - mind you with two kids in tow I wasn't exactly looking for glass shops  ;D
m

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 10:38:47 AM »
There are some fleamarkets in Venice (professional dealers: Campo San Maurizio; non professionals: Mercantino Via Garibaldi, Polvere di Ricordi, Mercantino dei Miracoli), several times a year.
Here is a link to a German site where the dates are listed for 2011, sorry, couldn't find the ones for 2012.

I was once by accident at the Via Garibaldi fleamarket, which was really nice and not too expensive (but that happened some time before I was addicted to glass :))
Via Garibaldi is one of the nicest places in Venice anyway...

Michael

Offline daniel2002

• Members
    • Crystal Chandelier
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 11:07:22 AM »
Thanks for that info, that's brilliant.

Offline MuranoArtGlassChandeliers

• Members
  • Italian Decor and Glass Lights website
    • Murano Glass plus Antiques
    • Australia
    • Murano Art Glass Australia
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 12:24:55 PM »
Hi Everyone
There are very few second-hand shops in Venice as they just cannot compete with the furnaces active on the islands (of which there are also only a tiny number). 
Dean
Dean
CEO and Owner
Italian Decor Glass Lights
http://www.italiandecor-glasslights.com
salesandsupport@italiandecor-glasslights.com

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 04:15:15 PM »
Hi, you can contact Giordana
She has a small shop in Dorsoduro 3276/A, very closed to Ca Foscari University (and very close to my home  :))
This is the telephone number
Tel. 041 5287896 Fax 041 5287896

She's very expert.

Sincerely

Alex
www.artofvenice.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand