No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart? Gray-Stan?  (Read 4483 times)

Offline RichardP

• Members
Monart? Gray-Stan?
« on: January 15, 2012, 09:04:50 PM »
Hi everyone, im new to the forum and have been collecting glass for a couple of years. I recently came accross this vase and wondered if anyone could help me identify it. Its 6 inches high and has a ground out pontil (not very neatly) and has quite alot of base wear around the edge of the foot, probably 1930s. Any help would be much appreciated. I love it!

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Monart? Gray-Stan?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 09:39:08 PM »
Richard — Welcome to the GMB

Although I can't eliminate the possibility other manufacturers, your vase is the only real candidate I've yet seen for a piece matching a late 1939 trade advertisement by Haden, Mullett & Haden:

Click for GlassGallery link with a click to enlarge option.

If it is Haden, Mullett & Haden, it is an important piece for the history of Stourbridge glass.

Thanks for posting it.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 09:41:15 PM »
Oh goodness ...I'm going to be wrong again, but I would vote Stevens and Williams.
It looks very similar to the cloudy swirling on a large pink vase I have, with the exeption of the round whorl on it and the ground out pontil (mine is a large polished pontil mark) - I've posted a pic of my vase.  It's not the best to show the swirling but the swirling on the interior is a cobwebby white like your vase.
m

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 10:10:49 PM »
M — Please forgive me for asking, but I would be interested in how you arrived at the S&W attribution for your vase?   I'm not disputing it, but you may well have access to sources of which I'm not aware.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 10:49:04 PM »
Nigel identified it for me  :sun:
see link here
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,41369.msg228957.html#msg228957
However mine does have a large polished pontil mark and as I say, I'm probably wrong  :-X
Richard there is a better picture of the cloudy white bit but not of the inside - I'll try and do one later.
looking at Charles Hajdamach's 20th century british glass Graystan did do a similar shape (page 92 plate 177) though the foot doesn't look the same but then on page 88 plate 168 the red cloudy vase has a very similar foot to Richard's piece and a similar cobwebby appearance.
m

Offline RichardP

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 04:27:56 PM »
Thank you for all your replys, I had never heard of Haden Mullett and Haden before, and looking at the 1939 advertisment, there are definate similarities with the end vase on the right and mine. I also found a vase on the Millers Antiques guide website that is attributed to HMH by Fieldings Auctioneers in Stourbridge, please follow the link http://www.millersantiquesguide.com/items/127410/1930s-stourbridge-cloudy-glass/
although this one is much brighter coloured but the use of white glass is very similar. Just to add that I found my vase less than a stones throw from Amblecote! 

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 04:49:32 PM »
Nice vase in the link as well  :sun:
I'm going off my S&W possibility having photographed the close up.  The colour doesn't look to have been made in the same way.  Mine looks as though it is white swirls within a pink glass (I've attached the pics anyway for reference).  The colour on yours looks to have been applied differently, so Bernard's possible HMH looks a closer bet (and also maybe Gray-Stan?).
As a matter of interest, is the glass on the foot of yours a slight yellowish colour or completely clear?  Also does yours have lots of tiny bubbles in it?
m

Offline RichardP

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 09:12:11 PM »
The foot on my vase is completely clear with no air bubbles, there are a few larger air bubbles in the body of the vase but looking at your lovely S&W vase, which has alot of small air bubbles, they are quite different.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 10:38:25 PM »
Richard,

I believe that you will find that your vase is pre-war Nazeing. It is known as a Tapering Vase shape no. 2021.

If the vase is the only one I recall being at Fieldings with the HMH attribution, it was actually WMF and not HMH. Identified as such by a number of experienced dealers at the time, despite the provenance of the collection it was from.

Nigel

PS. Richard if you could send me hi res photos on awhite background, I'd be very grateful. Thanks, Nigel

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 10:57:02 PM »
darn it  (I did ask about the foot though which shows I was thinking possibly Nazeing  ;D) and  I did look again at this (see link), but then thought no not similar enough  ;D

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,37065.msg202400.html#msg202400
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand