No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Clichy or St. Louis Glass Vase with Filigrana  (Read 6115 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Clichy or St. Louis Glass Vase with Filigrana
« on: January 19, 2012, 08:02:04 PM »
I recently bought this nice 19th Century vase. I had always thought this vase type was from Clichy, but I am finding some sites on the internet that attribute it to St. Louis. I hope someone here will know which is correct. The vase is 5 5/8" (14 cm) tall. Thanks!
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Clichy or St. Louis Glass Vase with Filigrana
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 09:04:19 PM »
Anita, that's a gorgeous piece  :sun:
the only thing I have to look through is this link - I can't see anything the same, but it's a good resource.  Unfortunately I can't help further, except that it does seem difficult to attribute some pieces definitively to either Clichy or St Louis.  Someone else who has more resources, or who actually has the book so can access the missing pages, may be able to help further perhaps.
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=KEYMY4_ytuUC&pg=PA151&dq=verre+de+clichy&hl=en&sa=X&ei=r4QYT8moEtTe8QO2ne21Cw&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=verre%20de%20clichy&f=false
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 09:25:21 PM »
That is a book that I need in print. I looked around for some books on Clichy, but couldn't find any. I clicked the "View all" on the link and it let me look at all he pages. I ran through them fast. I am going to have to save that book so I can look more casually. At the moment I have the two possible makers as well as two possible dates (mid or late 1900s). I'd like to know which is right.

Thanks, m!
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 09:27:58 PM »
Oops, I have to take that back. I did the same thing, but now the pages are being omitted. Strange. I'll have to find the book somewhere. Maybe it is in a library.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 09:59:50 PM »
and another option is Belgium circa 1850s. I have been trying to get a good attribution on this one but between Clichy, Saint-Louis and the Belgians I have not managed to cinch it.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 10:06:18 PM »
Ivo, your vase is lovely. I would have tried to turn it into a Venetian vase. I have been trying to locate good books on Clichy and St. Louis glass. I believe much of what I thought was Venetian or Bohemian could have been French. I know so little of French and Belgian glass that I know I need to learn more.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 10:28:29 PM »
Ivo, that's a very distinctive design in the filigrana - there isn't one the same showing on the visible pages in the Clichy book - but of course there are many pages missing online unfortunately. I guess shape is also important?  Stupid question alert - were these pieces mould blown?  I ask because my little Clichy jug is identical to one in the book but a different decor (mine is filigrana) so I'm feel reasonably sure mine is a Clichy jug (only to discover someone will now come along and say St Louis did the same shape  ;D)
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 07:43:22 PM »
Ivo have you got the Dan Klein and Ward Lloyd book, 'the history of GLASS'?
And I have a question - is there no way your vase could be Venetian for some reason (like the trailed rim perhaps)?
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 08:25:30 PM »
Yes I do have that book but could not find anything relevant.

So I checked La Verre en Wallonie (hard to find) and found a filigrana vase with gilt scalloped edge by Louis Zoude from the period 1849-1860 - which is quite close but single stripe filigrana. But there is also jug in very fine double twist filigrana finished with a pink trail - made by Verrerie de l'Ourthe in Chênée in 1882. Now when this was shown on the Paris fair in 1889 people did not believe it was Belgian, so a committee was sent to the factory to witness reproduction, which was concluded to full satisfaction....

It was just the trailed rim which put me off Venetian.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 09:31:18 PM »
oh ok, I did wonder about the trailed rim.  I was just idly musing on the type of filigrana used on the ewer on page 109 with the vertical stripes.  It's different to yours, less complex (is it single to your double then?) narrower vertical stripes, but is Venetian, hence my question.  However, I know so little lol, and guess that perhaps the make up of the filigrana might not tie it to a particular country?
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand