No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hello from a Newbie  (Read 2800 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Hello from a Newbie
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 01:26:09 PM »

Hi Tony

I think the answer is they are worth what someone will pay for them (which would be a fraction of a penny as scrap glass, but a lot more as a collectable paperweight!) - did I see these at Christies recently?  An intriguing issue is the difference between paperweights being rare, and the prices that they can fetch: the two aspects are not always closely linked.

I think that in general, the prices of different makes of paperweights rise and fall as buyers enter and leave the market. Whitefriars weights in general are not fetching the prices that they did 5 years ago - whereas Perthshire prices seem to be higher. It does not require many new collectors to drive prices up for a time.  And if significant new money enters the market (eg Russian and Chinese collectors recently) then collectables that mean something special to those countries can be expected to go up significantly - and have been doing so.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 01:51:34 PM »
Hi Tony glad you came on in hows your golf going ? i hope it hasnt gone A W O L because of the P/W bug , i was so pleased your better half liked the decanter , i would like to warn the other members Tony maybe a newbie but has an impessive P/W collection , i hope i have the right Tony otherwise . :-[ :-[ :-[ Welcome mate c u at Cambridge , PS I have a tranfer weight but its not a good one they did have problems with them , i also have one Ray Anneberg made for me post Whitefriars . cheers John . jp

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tony G

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 01:55:47 PM »
Hi John,
             yes it's me again. Cambridge can't come around quick enough as I am getting the winter blues! I would love to see the transfer weight at Cambridge whatever the condition.

All the best,

Tony

Offline Tony G

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 02:30:49 PM »
Hi Alan,
            your quite right everything is subjective. Things that are beautiful will attract interest as will rare items, even ugly things like the Alfa Romeo SZ car (subjective again). I'd rather keep values out of the discussion but admit I opened up the subject after being asked a question.

For me the main interest is in the collecting, followed by the sheer artistic skill and the historical significance. I only got into Whitefriars paperweights through an interest in their general glass. The fact that their range was more limited than some other makers was an attraction, as we all know that assembling a serious collection can be very expensive.

I think Perthshire weights are superb and technically excellent. I have an odd weight of most manufacturers but cannot afford to start another collection due to the pure cost. However if I ever did, it would probably be Perthshire. I have been on the look out for a copy of a Perthshire reference book at a reasonable price. Any pointers?

Cheers

Tony

PS yes, you did see those weights at Christies. They seem to have less idea about paperweights than a lot of regional auctioneers.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 09:12:06 PM »
    If we are having a little discussion about values because of what I said about whitefriars prices dropping recently I suppose its similar to other stuff going in and out of vogue. My wife has a collection of Hornsea jugs but they are only worth half what they were 10 years ago. Brown furniture has dropped a lot in price also, and brassware, worth more in scrap value.
       No, I wondered if there were any specific reason, but I guess not.
        Gold is going out of fashion you know//// anybody want to sell me some at half price?
   Tony the two weights you have there are lovely weights, the partridge one being quite a bit more expensive I would feel. Couldn't give you a price through the message board though, doesn't seem the correct thing to do.          I tend to like weights that are pleasing to look at and also look at the work hours put into them.  
 Regards Roger.
        See you at Cambridge maybe, winter blues here also.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand