No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Molineaux Webb - PATENTED pressed frosted creamer  (Read 5304 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Molineaux Webb - PATENTED pressed frosted creamer
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 04:16:51 PM »
Thank you showing us this rare Neville opalescent blue piece, Margaret.

I know of no other reference photos (either online or in books) of this particular design, or indeed of any other pieces with the Neville mark. Does anyone have other Neville pieces to show, please? Is there an extant Neville catalogue of any description?

As you say, the Davidson catalogue of unregistered designs 1880-1900 shows a triple holder frame and cruets set presumably derived directly from the Neville design, and there is also a triple holder frame and cups set to match. No Davidson pattern numbers shown with either set.

Fred.

Offline neilh

• Members
Re: Molineaux Webb - PATENTED pressed frosted creamer
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 07:13:43 PM »
So if you remember the conversation we started, spookily 5 years to the day, I have finally been to the patent office today to see which one matches my Molineaux Webb frosted creamer. It is the one dated March 6th 1863 (number 642) and granted to Thomas George Webb on September 4th 1863. I had thought it might be to do with frosting techniques, but it turns out to be how the handle is applied to a cup. In truth I should have guessed as the handle on this piece is a little different, in that the glass "fills in" the space between the handle and the cup, so there is no hole in the handle.

Here is the relevant part of the text:

"My invention relates to those articles of pressed glass which are provided with handles, such as "custard cups" and a variety of others, and consists in forming such handles, and which are usually hollow, with a midfeather, uniting the outward part of the handle to the body of the article. By this means I am enabled to secure greater strength and to avoid the roughness which exists in such handles made after the ordinary manner and without losing the appearance of lightness existing in hollow handles".

I have looked through all the Molineaux Webb patents I can find, there are around 20 of them in the 1860-1880 period, though there could be more, difficult to tell as there is no easy way to search. They are mostly involved with improvements in production methods, such as furnaces, chemical mixes, lessening breakages, and minimizing imperfections. I will type them all up on my website when I get the chance. These documents are out of copyright and at some point should arrive on Espacenet (patents from the late 19th century onwards are already available there).

To clear up one point from the thread above, the patent lists do show applications that did not make it to a full patent. Firstly, the patent is lodged as a "Provisional Specification", and after a period it may progress to a "Specification" if granted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand