No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is the seller right on this one?  (Read 3042 times)

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
Is the seller right on this one?
« on: January 21, 2012, 08:29:35 PM »
I am having a difference of opinion on this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-NEGC-Millefiori-Paperweight-Concentric-Rare-Best-/260936132637

Seller thinks it is New England Glass Company, and I think it is Baccarat/Dupont or maybe one of the unmarked 1960's Baccarat weights.

Any thoughts?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
Re: Is the seller right on this one?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 08:54:50 PM »
    I would guess 1930s Baccarat. Roger.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 10:32:51 PM »
It looks more NEGC than Dupont.  But it doesn't match my expectations for either.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 07:45:26 PM »

Well, having failed to win this weight by being the underbidder, I will give you my thoughts.  I think it is French, antique, and probably St Mandé. The star canes are too 'frilly' (a technical phrase, I am sure) to be Baccarat. The dome shape is right for St M.

Incidentally, I am writing a series of articles on millefiori canes (designs, makers etc) - first part in the April 2012 PCC Newsletter as long as I get on with it. Non-members might wish to think about joining....not for my pearls of wisdom, but for many other interesting articles. ;D

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 08:28:04 PM »
    As I said it was only a guess of mine, but it did add a bit of conversation didn't it.
             Regards Roger.

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 08:29:39 PM »
Alan please let me first apoligize for listing the question while the item was still running on ebay. I had no interest in it and assumed  that no one else would either.  :-[

St Mande is an interesting thought. I can see the attribution with the central blue rod canes, but the outside pink cane ring has a very 20th century look to it with the colors and the color combinations in the cane. The star-cluster canes looked frilly to me because of the poor photography. Had you requested and received better photos?

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 08:43:01 PM »

Hi Andy.

No - I did not get extra images - but I think that poor images make canes look more blurred and fatter, rather than thinner. As for your commenting whilst the listing is active, I believe that items usually find their own level whatever...so no problem.

I just think the cane design and the overall look and shape suggest St Mandé. That is an awfully subjective comment, I know - and I am uncomfortable with that approach to ID - but there is always an element to ID that is very hard to quantify: you look at a paperweight, and have a feel for what it might be. I am not 100% convinced it is St M, but that is my feeling.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 11:21:01 PM »
      Just had a closer look at some more New England weights and the further you go back in the 19th century the more the canes match the one in question!!!!?????  Roger.

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 11:38:23 PM »
the seller says .... Condition is excellent with no chips and no cracks , but to my eyes there looks like a top part of a bruise on the side around 12-1 o'clock on the down view photos
cheers Ray

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 09:50:25 AM »
I noticed this one when it first came up on eBay but wasn't very attracted to it so didn't think more about it.

I am pretty sure it is NEGC as I have matched the canes to paperweights in the book "The Boston & Sandwich and New England Glass Companies" by John D. Hawley.

Several pw's identified as NEGC in the book contain the blue/white complex cane in the center of this weight (page 76 fig 5.3, page 126 fig 7.25, page 129 fig 7.36),
the pink/blue/yellow complex cane in the outer ring can be found on page 153 fig 7.107
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand