No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Purple Murano "Handkerchief" Style Pigment Powder Bowl - Barbini?  (Read 1796 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
I have not seen this technique before.  The pigment is not mixed into the glass, but appears to float freely.  It's not sprayed on after blowing, it's actually in and part of the glass.  It's almost certainly Murano.  Polished base, exceptionally high quality production.  Most thicker handkerchief style bowls I've seen are low quality; the fine ones tend to be almost paper thin.  This one is an exception.  The quality of the glass is flawless.  I'm guessing (only a guess) it may be Barbini, and maybe even later (1970s/1980s), although Barbini in this period almost always signed their work with an incised signature on bottom. Large piece, measures 5 inches (12.5 cm) tall.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline horochar

• Members
Re: Purple Murano "Handkerchief" Style Pigment Powder Bowl - Barbini?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 05:22:45 PM »
Two more views, please.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 09:55:34 AM »
It doesn't look very Murano-like to me. The base looks very unlike Murano bases, especially fazolletto. Of course, I could be wrong again, so I'd be interested in hearing why you think Murano, particularly Barbini.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 02:00:31 PM »
I've handled hundreds of Murano pieces over the years. The polished base screams out Murano, although admittedly not fazzoletto. That's because that's not the technique. This is much thicker. Think of it as a ruffled edge bowl and not a handkerchief. Taking all the clues (including color; Barbini favored this one in the 70s, and I've seen a large signed Barovier piece in the color. It's the pigment technique  more than anything that throws me for a loop.
Thanks,
Charles

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 08:40:57 PM »
Charles,

As i said, i've been wrong before.  You've handled far more Murano than I have, so I won't dispute the Murano attribution.

From a learning point of view for me, given that virtually all Czech and Scandinavian also have polished bases, what is there about this polished base that "screams" Murano? For example, Vas Vitreum did a fazolletto, seldom monochromatic, which has a polished base. 

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand