No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: VB OPALINE FLORENCE MADE IN ITALY  (Read 15281 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: VB OPALINE FLORENCE MADE IN ITALY
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 03:48:57 PM »
I can only refer back to my earlier posting on Empoli companies.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 09:03:22 PM »
AV could be for Arte Vetraria (art glass)?
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 11:00:12 PM »
I just noticed in the AV mark there is a fleur de lis, although it's not identical there is also a fleur de lis in the Stelvia mark, coincidence?

If S.t.e.l.v.i.a stands for Società Toscana Esercizio Lavorazione Vetri Industriali e Artistici, the AV could stand for Artistici Vetri (artistic glass).
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 09:01:04 AM »
Some interesting possibilities there!  Well spotted with the fleur de lis too, I hadn't noticed that, it does seem to hint at a link.  Unless, again, it is something that the importers and retailers requested?

I've been hunting for more pieces with the "AV" labels, so far I've turned up these three:

The last one has a pattern normally found with the "VB" labels, so it does looks like both labels were used on pieces by the same manufacturer.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 10:40:58 AM »

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 01:15:57 PM »
Thanks Ivo, I've been through that page before looking for clues (by the way, check out their gallery if you haven't already, it's a bit tricky to find [Link]). There are certainly a lot of possibilities on there for both sets of initials.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 02:42:21 PM »
Thanks Ivo & Wayne

I came across this...
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/fine-vintage-eames-deco-italian-murano-glass-vase
http://images.cloud.worthpoint.com/wpimages/images/images4/1/1007/01/1_0424b480bef525992e115aa351924224.jpg

It has two labels attached, the 'V.B Opaline Florence Made in Italy' globe label and what looks like a white 'Toscany Made in Italy' label.

You may be wondering why there are 'possibly' two importers on one item, so am i.  :24:

I'm presuming the Toscany label belongs to that vase rather than it being a stray. Toscany are more likely to be an importer since the same labels are found in many forms like 'Hand Blown Toscany Made in Romania' etc.

Gosh, this is confusing, a glass blower appears on this 'Opalina Fiorentina' label...
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Grosse-Henkel-Vase-Glas-Opalina-Fiorentina-un-1950-60-/250904564390

...the same glass blower appears in reverse on the AV label. Maybe, like you say, they just used the same images for their labels. Stelvia used a glassblower in one of their round labels but it's not the same.

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 10:24:18 AM »
Nice find, I've only seen that globe label once before.  I always presumed Toscany was an alternate spelling for "Tuscany", which is the region where Empoli is located.  When googling "toscany", lots of results about Italy come up.  So I thought the 'Toscany Made in Italy' labels were generic export labels.  I can't explain the link with Romanian glass etc though, unless it's just a coincidence?

I thought I had seen that glassblower somewhere before!  I'm pretty sure Stelvia used those scroll labels, but maybe other manufacturers did too.  Or maybe Stelvia were responsible for all these labels, both the scroll labels and ones with the wax seals, and was their attempt to imitate or compete with French glass?

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 11:24:53 AM »
Just posting a close up of the Stelvia label which might help:

And a link to an item with one of the scroll labels, along with a tag that matches the Stelvia logo of a fleur de lis, with what looks like a lion next to it:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Opalina-Glas-Vase-rosa-TOP-um-1960-very-rare-/120849505725?

*edit* Direct link to the close up pic of the tag, maybe it will stay active longer than the ebay listing: [Pic]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand