No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: pressed edges vs rounds  (Read 2895 times)

Offline kap320

• Members
pressed edges vs rounds
« on: January 23, 2012, 10:23:52 PM »
Somewhat basic question for the experts. When looking at paperweights, which are normally most valuable, molded {star edged}, or
round globe type? To keep it "apples to apples" say the weight has millefiori interior.---Thanks for the education----Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: pressed edges vs rounds
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 12:46:06 AM »
If the weights were of the same size and the millefiori were of equal quality and equal setting, then I'd say they were of equal "collector value".
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline kap320

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 02:29:19 AM »
thank you for your reply--so your saying that the "molding" of glass carries the same value as a hand made rounded dome ?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 07:33:57 AM »
The shaping is straightforward for a professional. It's creating beautiful canes in the first place and then the design, and then picking them up without distorting them and having any bubbles or striations that are the difficult bits. I think that's common to all whatever the final shape.

Offline kap320

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 03:31:41 PM »
Thank you for your responce. I'm hearing you saying that there is more value in the interior work of a weight than in the exterior shape.
So if the interiors are of equal artistic value, the fact that the artist puts the readied glass into a press to shape mold it, versus hand shaping
it into a rounded globe, makes no dollar or collection value ?
Thanks again---Ken

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 03:38:26 PM »
I personally believe that the molded weights are less valuable.  That is my personal opinion. 

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 06:43:08 PM »
I think the premise of a "shape value" is a bit off, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and so determines subjective value (or collection value if you will).

I personally prefer classical round paperweights so I would likely not wish to pay as much for a molded or faceted one,
I am sure there are those of the opposite persuasion.

I suspect what matters to most collectors is the overall aestetic and quality, and/or rarity, of the paperweight.

I think you will find most members here reluctant to discuss dollar values as this is a board for learning about, and enjoying,  
glass and paperweights, not so much valuations.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline kap320

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 08:34:35 PM »
Thank you Alexander---I do understand your point about this being a board of learning and not one of valuation. I'm just
trying to learn as much as I can. I do feel however, that valuation has to be part of the learning curve of these amazing
glass weights.----thanks ----Ken

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 09:39:54 PM »
   Think its very much a question of personal taste as you first see the weight. My wife likes moulded weights, I'm not so keen. I like overlaid ones, she's not too keen. We both like traditional smooth sperical. I like most faceted,she doesnt.   Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.  The percentage of crimped moulded weights is fairly low so perhaps they cant sell as many. Roger.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 10:19:42 PM »

I go with the moulded weights are usually 'not too desirable cheap tourist gift' option.  Hence there are relatively few about. But, as has been said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Incidentally, has anyone noted a moulded weight making a sale price into 3 figures? (other than £9.99, for example....).

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand