Author Topic: pressed edges vs rounds  (Read 631 times)

Offline kap320

• Members
Re: pressed edges vs rounds
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 01:07:18 AM »
Alan---from what I've seen, your spot on. -----Ken

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 10:18:58 AM »

I go with the moulded weights are usually 'not too desirable cheap tourist gift' option.  Hence there are relatively few about. But, as has been said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Incidentally, has anyone noted a moulded weight making a sale price into 3 figures? (other than £9.99, for example....).

Alan

I was wondering, as I assume this thread is about the typical Perthshire/Strathearn pws with star shapes, was this design feature used for any limited edition weights?
I ask as the ones I see on eBay are usually of the smallish daily production variety.  I'm sure a study on finished eBay auctions could give an indication on differences in value
in like for like pws where the only difference is the outer finish. 

What I have seen of these seem to all be in the "gift shop" budget range so if the discussion is limited to these I agree.

One could argue that William Manson's bat cave weights (and various other scenes) are moulded with one facet and they routinely go for £100+ 
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • My Paperweights Website
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 11:13:01 AM »
Hi Alexander.

I think there are two big differences with Willie Manson's bat caves (reflected in the price).  First, they have a 3 dimensional design containing lampwork, and second, the facet is a labour intensive subsequent addition, rather than something made in the hot fabrication process.

I sold around 400 Strathearns a few years ago, many on eBay, including a few moulded stars of various sizes. At that time the stars sold for less than similar conventional domed weights (£12 to £25 for the stars, compared to £15 to £60 for the domed ones). I don't know what prices have been achieved in the last couple of years.

Alan
Alan
The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton. Please feel free to contact me direct if you do not agree with my comments and do not wish to make your concerns known by posting in this thread.
 http://www.pwts.co.uk

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 01:50:38 PM »
I think there are two big differences with Willie Manson's bat caves (reflected in the price).  First, they have a 3 dimensional design containing lampwork, and second, the facet is a labour intensive subsequent addition, rather than something made in the hot fabrication process.

I quite agree, my point, which may have been a but inelegantly put, is that an exterior moulded surface on it's own should
not be seen as a direct indicator of value or general desirability.

Imho WM's paperweights are in quite a different league artistically to the gift shop variety star shaped millefiori weights.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com