No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars Baxter Experimental Studio Vase c1978 , just showing off!  (Read 16631 times)

Offline Andy

• Members
Got this at auction today, listed as Mdina, i didnt recognise it, i thought the Red was very Whitefriarish, and it had a
polished pontil mark, i wondered if it was a Boffo piece when he was at Mdina because of the silver chloride .
I sent Sue a pic from my phone, not a very good one, and she recognised it as Whitefriars, a Baxter experimental range
that never went into production! Its shown on page 143 of Lesley Jacksons Whitefriars book.
I found this on google,
http://www.whitefriarsorg.org/a3-messages/a3a-msg-2001/messages.htm
a chap says he bought one while working at Whitefriars, only 2 made.

Hope you like it,
comments welcome, and many thanks to Sue xx  :kissy:

Cheers
Andy

"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Whitefriars Baxter Experimental Studio Vase c1978 , just showing off!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 04:43:46 PM »
Very flash! :hiclp:

Lovely find. :mrgreen:

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 04:55:35 PM »
 >:D dribble, drool, lust..........  :mrgreen:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 05:42:07 PM »
I hope it is but not to be confused with the New studio range which were production pieces in 1978 and were also made in ruby with a kingfisher overlay? the 9882 similar at 10" but the strapping appears to go farther up the vase, seen the experimental in ruby and the strapping was more of a close band so hopefully it could be.
Would put it on Whitefriars.com but  in the forum and not the isit section a few on there James Starr or Richard Anderson collect these.

A link here.... http://www.whitefriars.com/catalogues/contents.php?id=10283
Sorry just about to go to work so no time to look deeper for you.

Chris

Offline jimbo1

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 08:47:54 PM »
Hi,

As Chris says Pat 9882 from the new studio range. This looks to be a nice strong colour and very well seeded. Quite rare, I  have found a couple and are often described and mis-sold as murano.

Nice find  :hiclp:

James

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 09:57:31 PM »
gosh, I don't know anything about Whitefriars but to me there looks to be a difference between what is in the catalogue and what Andy has posted - I would never have recognised it as being the same vase.  I can't see any bubbles in the one in  the catalogue, the strapping on the one in the catalogue looks to be much wider than Andy's and done slightly differently somehow, and the one in the catalogue doesn't look to have a cased base which Andy's does look as though it has - I would never have recognised that as being the same range :-\  good job I don't collect Whitefriars I guess  :)
m

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 10:39:07 PM »
Interesting comments, and many thanks to all, i had a good look at the aforementioned New Studio range, and expected the comparisons. I very much appreciate all the input from more experienced WF collectors than me, but no way is it a Kingfisher
overlay on a Ruby body, so the experimental version is favourite in my humble opinion at the moment, but i look forward to
more contributions, I love the fact that Whitefriars history and production is so well researched and documented , and
continues to be so. Ive just checked , and i see Lesley Jacksons book was published in 1996 ! So much more must have
been learned since then.
I will certainly pop it on WF.com , and link it to this thread. Im hoping it will be fun finding out a bit more, and creating a
bit of good light hearted debate.
Maybe its TK Maxx or M & S ,  ;D Its all great fun
Cheers all,
Andy
 :smg:

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 10:49:38 PM »
Quite, that does not look like it is trailed (strapped), looks more like silver chloride has been run around and around (inside or outside?) changing the colour of the ruby glass.

John

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 11:01:25 PM »
John,
its as smooth as a babys bottom  :thup:  inside and out ! The pattern is right in the centre of the Ruby .

Bedtime now.
I must try not to post after the pub!

:sleep:

Offline jimbo1

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 11:05:12 PM »
It's Whitefriars new studio ruby with kingfisher overlay 100%, these vases were all individual and are all very different. They were designed as studio pieces. These vases have no strapping like the amber version all the colours are cased within the body.

Will take a picture of mine and post tomorrow.

Look at the bottom of this page, it show 2 ruby/kingfisher vases

http://www.whitefriarsorg.org/a5-galleries/a5f-circa/PaulandChristina.htm

James

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand