No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars Baxter Experimental Studio Vase c1978 , just showing off!  (Read 16717 times)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Whitefriars Baxter Experimental Studio Vase c1978 , just showing off!
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2012, 01:37:25 PM »
Ray doesnt have a computer but when i see him again i will let him look in and i am sure he will answer all the questions . he may be away this weekend so next week probably .

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2012, 01:53:02 PM »
Thanks JP  :thup:
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2012, 04:45:53 PM »
Sue said " It's a Baxter experimental piece that never went into production it's shown in the Jackson book page 143
Chris said " 9882? a production piece which appeared in the 1978 catalogue, so no catalogues to search trawl through Sue, I gave Andy the link to the 1978 catalogue page and you to the photo in the Jackson book the only issue really is fairly straight forward which one is it?
A world of difference between an experimental range with a hand full being made and a catalogued production run albeit when Whitefriars were in desperate trouble and struggling to turn things round, hence my comment about letting you down gently Andy  ;D and subtly guiding you towards the latter.
Jp I think we need to clear a couple of points up and make sure Ray knows which range we are discussing, I can well see only a hand full of the original experimental pieces being made in ruby bit the later range no way I  have seen lot's of these in ruby over the years in the various shapes.
Which would make a world of difference in a couple being made or a couple of hundred.
Sue said " what was the doubt in the first place"  you telling Andy it was a rare experimental Baxter piece probably  :wsh:

Chris :pb:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2012, 04:59:29 PM »
I've seen quite a few over the years, I know they're not that scarce. I was only quoting the Jackson book - in which the pictures are about as clear as mud.
Ther do not seem to be any images of the more common studio range in the Jackson book at all.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2012, 05:17:37 PM »
Sue, the ones in the Jackson book are really rare, not a word I use often, as per the number made the later ones in the catalogue link not so and appear from time to time for sale.

Chris :sun:

Offline jimbo1

• Members
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2012, 05:34:21 PM »
They will not have been hundreds and hundreds of these made, these were expensive to make and as we know Whitefriars were in financial trouble in 1978. The cut crystal ranges were paying the bills not the textured or studio pieces.

The problem with saying you have seen loads is where have you seen them, if its Ebay or auction houses they could be the same ones going round in circles.

James

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2012, 05:47:04 PM »
Sorry mate, just a figure of speech to try and get the two ranges in context  :-[ two hundred seems to have a 'ring' to it and appeared to go well with two Lol
Are you going to Wetherby on Saturday, roll on York but having said that probably had my worst year ever last year, could do with Gary 'goldenballs' to get a job where he has to work every Saturday.

Chris

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2012, 05:59:01 PM »
About 5 or 6 years ago,  Patrick Hogan bought one of these. ( I can even remember where he bought it - Kingston upon Thames ) If my memory serves me well it was discussed on the Whitefriars forum, and for one reason or another it was decided it was Mdina!  Perhaps JP you can jog Patrick's memory and see what he has to say about this matter, perhaps if he still has photographs, he can show them for  comparison purposes.

Offline jimbo1

• Members
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2012, 06:16:20 PM »
No problems Chris, I'll be at Wetherby Saturday, need to get there early to beat you though ;D

Was with Gary Tuesday - he was busy buying Troika the traitor but he did find some nice Mdina pieces couple of weeks back.

Hopefully see you there for a coffee, I think Dave is coming too.

James

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2012, 04:19:39 PM »
About 5 or 6 years ago,  Patrick Hogan bought one of these. ( I can even remember where he bought it - Kingston upon Thames ) If my memory serves me well it was discussed on the Whitefriars forum, and for one reason or another it was decided it was Mdina!  Perhaps JP you can jog Patrick's memory and see what he has to say about this matter, perhaps if he still has photographs, he can show them for  comparison purposes.

Hi Emmi,
 Yes this was thought to be WF but turned out to be somewhere else............... Will try and find the thread. Here is the pic.of the vase.

Regards,
              Patrick.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand