No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars Baxter Experimental Studio Vase c1978 , just showing off!  (Read 16642 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Whitefriars Baxter Experimental Studio Vase c1978 , just showing off!
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2012, 04:36:23 PM »
Yup, Mdina.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2012, 04:42:19 PM »
Ah yes, Patrick,, it is very different from the one being discussed on here.  I had thought yours was more similar, but my memory failing me again!

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2012, 10:28:55 PM »
Hi Patrick whats your view on the one at the start of this thread , anything to add ?

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2012, 02:39:53 PM »
Hello,

My goodness what a storm in a tea cup!

The person who has been talking most sense is jimbo1.

The vase you have Andy is from a range that went into production albeit probably a small one. It is a design from a series of different shapes using this colour way by Geoffrey Baxter.

It is NOT experimental.

I have seen more examples of this particular vase over the years than it is quoted that Ray made, so either Ray is remembering a little incorrectly, or other chairs at Whitefriars made 'em  :o In case of confusion, I could even take you to collections that house an example at this moment in time - including one in my kitchen, owned for many years.

Frankly, this thread only illustrates the problem of not having seen something before and not having enough longevity in collecting or dealing to give a fair overview. The pieces in Jackson that are being referred to are indeed experimental and there may be as many as three examples of each. For instance, I have a version of the one in Jackson (plate 170, number 8 on the extreme right) that I bought many years ago before any exhibitions or books were available. However, I later made the mistake of not buying one smaller, similar, only in pink....uuurrrgghhhhh ::)

I understand your questioning the Kingfisher content within these ranges Sue, but I think you will end up being surprised. Pictures are no substitut for handling and living with pieces as you well know ;) :)

I would like to compliment Andy for having the hunch to buy in the first place. Often those little grey cells do work when playing the hunch, but it is then that the research has to begin ;) :) :) For instance going to the Museum of London to go through the records, or even seeing them on W/F's.com (if enough are there, or linked to) in order to determine how many might have been made.

Nigel

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2012, 02:57:03 PM »
Hi Nigel i quoted Ray verbatim , can i be there when you tell him he got it wrong . ;D ;) :24: we were only talking about the straight sided one at the top of this thread and in that exact colourway .  :o

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2012, 03:01:35 PM »
As I've said, I've seen a fair number of these over the years, but I've not personally ever handled any.

The"experimental" word being used here arose from my only having the LJ wfs book, which I quoted.
The book does not illustrate any of the production range of ruby with silver chloride, but ONLY the so-called "experimental" bits - (which to my mind are the same design, just a few different shapes.)
I'm not into catalogues and ranges and numbers - I'm into glass and I'm only concerned with how good it looks.

And I think Andy's bit is far nicer than any of the experimental shapes.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2012, 04:04:02 PM »
we were only talking about the straight sided one at the top of this thread and in that exact colourway

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about John. As for Ray, he's a great chap, if questioned he''ll be charitable to me......I'm.......er....sure  :kissy: Gulp!!!!!

Nigel

PS. 'Experimental' is in the title of the thread Sue ;)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2012, 04:37:52 PM »
Yes, I know. Andy wrote to me, I quoted LJ at him, he put it in the title. It's Lesley Jackson's fault for not showing the production range, only the differently shaped "experimental" ones.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2012, 04:48:32 PM »
I hope that kiss is not for me Nigel i dont ride on that bus . GULP . :-[ :huh2:

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2012, 05:29:29 PM »

Ha Ha  :o

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand