No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars Baxter Experimental Studio Vase c1978 , just showing off!  (Read 16639 times)

Offline Patrick

• Members
Re: Whitefriars Baxter Experimental Studio Vase c1978 , just showing off!
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2012, 07:19:51 PM »
Hi,
 Yes these did go into production but not in large quantities..................  Richard Anderson has one in his collection and I think Peter Elliot has one for sale.
 Maybe over £300.00 if I remember.
 I hope to call into see Ray on my way back to London and will let him see the pic. of the vase and hear his further comments.

All best wishes,
                       Patrick.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2012, 09:17:31 PM »
Not sure about the workbook line, pretty sure none were kept/made in the turmoil of the latter years cannot find any for Ray's work after 1975, interesting 3 for Boffo '68, '69, and '70.
Apart from that I think Nigel and James between them have pretty much tied it up for you Andy  :24:

Workbooks link with thanks to Julian Knowles at Whitefriars.com

https://picasaweb.google.com/117839260238336349011

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2012, 10:51:40 PM »
Sorry to butt in here, but that's a curious find for V Boffo - the last date in the Whitefriars workbooks if I have read your link correctly? was June 1970, yet in Mark Hill's book he says

'This had been anticipated before he left England and in October 1969, the team of twelve was joined by Ettore Boffo and his father Vicente (also known as Poppa), who were both experienced blowers from Whitefriars.'

So if it is the same V Boffo, and I assume it is, then either he was working in two places at the same time, or the dates in Mark Hill's book aren't correct...or the entry in the workbook for V Boffo aren't correct.  Or did I miss something somewhere on timelines?
Edited to add...I know nothing about how 'workbooks' work, so is it that they don't represent the output of production for the date in question, but the sales throughput?  In which case I guess they could represent sales of items made at a previous time?  But if they do represent production for that month then my previous questions stand  :)
Further edit...Mark Hill's book page 23 shows a photograph taken from 'Times of Malta' May 12th 1970 with a picture of Michael Harris and Ettore Boffo - perhaps Vicente Boffo joined later?
m

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2012, 11:13:25 PM »
Well i wont bovver to aks next time .  :-X :pb:

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2012, 11:40:19 PM »
According to the workbook his last entry was 20th June 1970 if I am reading it correctly m
Maybe  one of the Mdina 'experts' can clear it up I thought they left England for Malta in October 1967 and began producing glass in '68 two years before 'Boffo' left Whitefriars? so that's how much I know :-[ according to the workbook information someone is wrong somewhere probably me ;D

Chris

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2012, 11:49:14 PM »
According to Mark Hill's book they (Michael Harris and familiy) left for Malta in December 1967 and then furnaces were lit at Ta'Qali in late Summer 1968.  Also according to the book they were joined the following year in October 1969 by the Boffo's.
m

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2012, 11:57:00 PM »
Still at Whitefriars 10 month after he left for Malta then? :-\
Chris

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2012, 10:27:16 AM »
Wow , interesting photos from Julian Knowles ! Ive found the whole conversation very interesting and informative all the way through.
Im happy we are all basically singing from the same Hymn sheet, and with the conclusions on my vase. Chris, i put this on about
4 pages ago!

Maybe a mod should now move to British Glass, without the 'experimental' in the title.  :thup:

Cheers Andy

I still think thats a good idea.  Any mods agree with me ?
Nice to talk to so many of you. Might be going off topic a bit with the Boffo chat, I will leave that to others.
Patrick, remember me to Ray. Does he still go to Amersham?
Hope to meet more of you in the future, maybe Birmingham in the Spring.
Cheers for now,
Andy
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2012, 12:53:36 PM »
My fault for not remembering a previous post  a few months ago where Wolfie had been to see Joseph Said and Mr Said had confirmed that Boffo started in 1970
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,41620.msg242700.html#msg242700
The date in Mark Hill's book is therefore probably incorrect?
I will put a cross link post to this thread on that thread as well for future reference.
m

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2012, 06:19:17 PM »
I think we need to clear a couple of points up and make sure Ray knows which range we are discussing,
Chris :pb:

Hi,
 Well I showed the pic. to Ray and he immediately went to his copy of the 1978 catalogue........   " Kingfisher on Ruby with Silver Chloride, they were a production piece and  I possibly made a hundred or more "
 It is trailed with Kingfisher and Silver Chloride and melted in which makes the blue less prominent.
 Regards,
               Patrick.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand