Author Topic: Is this a scottish paperweight  (Read 357 times)

Offline malcmat

• Members
Is this a scottish paperweight
« on: February 16, 2012, 10:28:05 AM »
Hi, i purchased this p/w and wondered if it is a Scottish example and if so is it from the 1960s?.
It is 2.750 inches dia and 2 inches tall. I has a concave depression on the base but it is not ground finish.
It has radiating from the outside 3/2/1 canes leading to an outer circle of 10 canes and then inside that 5 blue canes then a central cane.
The canes radiating from the outside are separated with a spiral decoration and the whole weight is set on a beige/yellow ground.
Any help on the artist and year would be much appreciated as i have very little knowledge on P/W s
Many thanks

Malcolm

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Is this a scottish paperweight
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 10:50:09 AM »
My guess would be an early Strathearn, but wait to see wot those wot know say  8)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • My Paperweights Website
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 05:19:02 PM »

I think it one of those hard to place late Vasart / early Strathearn pieces - so Scottish, 1960s, as you suggest. ( Looks remarkably similar to one that was at auction very recently....)

Alan
Alan
The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton. Please feel free to contact me direct if you do not agree with my comments and do not wish to make your concerns known by posting in this thread.
 http://www.pwts.co.uk

Offline malcmat

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 06:20:47 PM »
Hi Alan, many thanks to your good self and Christine for the information and yes it was one of two that i purchased at the auction. The price was right and they looked quite nice, but  was unsure if they were  as described .
Still learning
Thanks

Malcolm

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand