No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness Eagle Dome?  (Read 7484 times)

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
Caithness Eagle Dome?
« on: January 26, 2012, 08:01:56 PM »
I think this is a Caithness Eagle Dome 1976 - is labelled Caithness engraving to base and is enscribed Caithness Scotland

Thanks Adam

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Re: Caithness Eagle Dome?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 10:30:01 PM »
Correct.

There is also a version with blue base, and the eagle landing (rather than cruising): not in any catalogue, I'm aware of, but several of them have shown up on ebay ... possibly made for the factory shop only.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 11:25:28 AM »
Seems to be a rather flatter top than usual - I wonder if it has been repaired?  This photo appears to show a more domed top.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline w84it

• Members
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 11:54:32 AM »
 The two weights seem to be slightly different in shape, rather than a repair to one.   It would be interesting to know their max heights and widths, for comparison.  Maybe made at different times by different artists?

Regards

Keith
Weightforit   -  mad about marbries, crowns and swirls ...

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 12:22:48 PM »
I have a second weight identical to the one shown except the one pictured has a DC engraver mark.  Colin Terris's book only shows a high dome for the 4 different weights in the "Sports Series".

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 12:25:22 PM »
I'm pretty sure mine hasn't been repolished. 9.5cm tall - 3.5", 4.8cm diam - 2.25" - approx

Adam

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 01:27:43 PM »
I remember reading somewhere they were made by Caithness engraving before they had a specific paperweight department ,i have a couple hidden away in their original boxes .....  just found them again one about 8.5 cms x 6 cms width has a blue base 3cms deep and an Eagle type bird or Osprey with a large fish in its claws , the blue obviously represents the water the base is engraved Scotland Caithness  in tiny very neat handwriting and a large label Caithness engraving , there is also a hand written label on the base of the box  ct 184  . Colin Terris Maybe ?
 The other is an Osprey gliding on a thermal over a very dark blue almost black snow capped mountain , similar engraved base and label but the box has a handwritten label just saying OSPREY .This one is   8.5 cms by 7 width . i have had them for very many years , no sign of restoration . As the one Ross has my similar one is also this slightly different shape .

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 06:37:56 PM »
CT-### in connection with Caithness weights usually refers to the numbers Colin Terris has used in his Charlton catalogue, i.e. they don't mean that Colin Terris was the designer.

CT-184 is "Nativity, Style 1" by Helen MacDonald - something completely different. Most likely boxes were mixed up at some stage (or the number means something completely different). This weight could be the one I mentioned above, however: that the eagle is catching a fish may just not show up on the images I have copied off ebay; of the two I copied, one seems to have been unsigned, the other marked as second (CIIG), which could also mean it was a trial piece (this topic has been discussed here previously). ... If your weight is actually signed Caithness, I would very much appreciate if you could provide images (several views, including the signed base) for ScotlandsGlass.

With Osprey also the box does not (originally) belong to the paperweight: Osprey is a spherical weight with oblique front facet - completely different from Eagle Dome, the weight starting this discussion. No specific designer is listed for Eagle Dome - just Caithness Design Studio. First issued in 1976 it was produced over many years - so some variation in the dome shape wouldn't surprise me at all.

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 09:19:44 PM »
At a fair the other day I did see almost the same weight but with a Pheasant, and Sandringham also etched into it.  Identical to it, but it had a bruise and seller wouldn't move from £25, so it stayed there.  I'm assuming that was a special edition given out on a shoot or similar....

Ian

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 10:46:43 PM »
At a fair the other day I did see almost the same weight but with a Pheasant, and Sandringham also etched into it.

There is one on ebay right now:
http://cgi.ebay.ch/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220936131342

There are others, fitting into the same design, one with a seal, others with equestrian, skiing or mountaineering scenes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand