No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: BRITISH SAWREX COMMEMORATION CRYSTAL VASE GR 1937 ?  (Read 5535 times)

Offline allan_666

• Members
BRITISH SAWREX COMMEMORATION CRYSTAL VASE GR 1937 ?
« on: January 26, 2012, 08:12:48 PM »

Can anyone please give me any info on this Lovely cut crystal glass vase it has the GR for George and 1937 cut into the vase but not easy to photo so have shown a reverse pic also .measures 6" or 15cm high by nearly 4" or 10cm at the widest point and weighs aprox 600g.Wonderfull Quality thick glass with lovely cut detail but alas the pics dont do it justice ! It has a long clear ring when struck like a tuning fork ! acid etched mark to the base British Sawrex.I have bought and sold glass for many years but i have never heard of this works but i see theres a piece on ebay.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: BRITISH SAWREX COMMEMORATION CRYSTAL VASE GR 1937 ?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 09:49:41 PM »
hello Allan  -  if you use the GMB search facility and type in 'British Sawrex', you will find - in addition to your entry today - two other threads.     I hope they are of help.    I agree that pieces so marked seem very scarce  -  I have seen only one in several years of collecting  -  although it has to be said that I haven't gone out of my way to look for them.        Presumably a period vase, and very attractive, although unable to help any more other than to suggest it was a commemorative piece of sorts :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 09:53:06 PM »
P.S..........sorry, overlooked the fact that you had already stated  'Commemorative'.         Perhaps this should be moved to British Glass.

Offline allan_666

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 09:57:29 PM »
thank you Paul

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 10:00:35 PM »
Just today in north wales i saw a vase marked as this one i was tempted it had quality too it interested to know if wrex is the manufacturer also!!!!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 09:59:02 AM »
I've just had a conversation with TNA at Kew  -  and surprisingly they appear not to have any information or links to names like British Sawrex or Sawrex Glass - rather disappointing.     So rather stumped for the time being, but will persist if I can think of a different angle.           If you Google, you get something called - The Sawrex Glass Marketing Co., Ltd., although now dissolved, but whether they had connections with, or were one and the same as British Sawrex, I don't know.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 11:12:39 AM »
I've only just looked at this as I'm rather wary of topics with titles in all capitals.   Anyway it's OK, or, perhaps I should have said, ok.  ;D

I'm 100% certain who made this vase, because it tells you.   Suppose you want to call a range "Rex", a popular brand name during the mid 20th century.   You can't call it just "Rex" on its own, as it might get confused with PYREX, and Jobling's directors and senior management might get rather upset, quite justifiably.   So you do a portmanteau job on it with something else quite different to "PY".   How about, for example, combining it with your company initials?

Do I need to spell it out?

Bernard C.  :angel:

ps — any chance of a photograph of the mark, please?   How does the lettering compare with the mark on my 1938 Raybould Tazza (click to enlarge):

Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline allan_666

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 12:18:39 PM »
Too feint and small to photograph but the lettering is very similar in solid capital letters

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
There's another Sawrex piece on eBay currently, useful for comparison?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150610745046

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 02:46:23 PM »
so what are you saying Bernard - that S. & W. were responsible for these few pieces of SAWrex that turn up occasionally?           I didn't think this little problem had been resolved yet, unless you were keeping success quiet :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand