No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Venini Glass Book & Glass Books in general  (Read 11812 times)

Sklounion

Santillana book....
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2004, 08:59:23 PM »
Peter wait a couple of weeks, and i'll let you know when my copy arrives. I have the same question regarding the Murano book featuring the Steinberg Foundations collection... any good, or coffee table clutter????
If it is worth having, have found a remainder source, selling at ÂŁ20.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Venini Glass Book & Glass Books in general
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2004, 10:29:57 PM »
Marcus,

At GBP 20.00, that Steinburg Foundation book is a bargain.   It has some studio one-offs in it, but mostly standard production glass, including many of the famous designs by Bianconi for Venini and other glassworks.   At least all the photographs are new.   You don't have the problem of Miller's / Octopus constantly recycling them.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Sklounion

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2004, 10:39:06 PM »
If hunting for exhibition catalogues as reference material, never assume that they are sold out, or that the cheapest offering on eBay, or a book-site, will render the best deal. Recently searched for glass catalogues, dealers, upwards of 45€, gallery still had some, 9 years later, 21€.
Research, it is amazing what it throws up :lol:

Glassmaster

Reference books
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2004, 07:23:14 PM »
I've posted some book suggestions at http://www.boglewood.com/murano/library.html including my own recent book "Murano Magic: Complete Guide to Venetian Art Glass, its History and Artists" (Schiffer, 2004).
Carl Gable

Sklounion

Book reviews
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2004, 09:53:20 PM »
Is this just a hare-brained idea, but would it be useful to have a glass book review forum?
I'm looking at this from the perspective of seeing others writing on such things as Parkington 1 & 2, (Yes, I know now, auction catalogues) but I'm sure others might want a view of whether it would be useful to have a copy. I have bought the European Glass in Use catalogue, and if people would find feed-back on it useful, will post a review soon.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2004, 11:20:49 PM »
Hi everyone!

Quote from: "Anonymous"
http://www.americancraftmuseum.org/
click on exhibitions, then archived exhibitions, then Venetian glass. The catalogue is excellent.
Adam A

Hello Adam A.
I just tried this link, and it took me to "Venetian Glass", but that only has an overview of the exhibition. Was it supposed to have another link taking you to actual photos and descriptions of individual pieces?  

On book advice> This year I also have spent more than a few $$$ on books. I decided that it would be best to spend it on individual makers, books like Venini, Martens, Seguso that have actual catalogued photos of their archives, and extended research. I think those are worth it.
I also bought "Carlo Scarpa I vetri di Murano 1927-1947", which I don’t recommend. Most of the pieces pictured are already in the Venini books. I bought it thinking it would show something different but it doesn’t.

Libraries> I have also tried doing my research by going to libraries, and found close to nothing on Murano Glass. While I lived in Baltimore I visited often the library of the Maryland Institute College of Art, (where I graduated from) which has a huge collection of Art Books, Catalogues, Periodicals etc. and even there I didn’t find much information on Murano Glass. They also have an almost complete collection of the DOMUS catalogues, and I did find some nice articles, but nothing that hasn’t been seen in books already, or photos that have been reprinted in catalogues. If researching Barbini or Seguso, good luck because I didn’t find but 1 article at most.
As far as DOMUS in all other areas, it is an amazing source to have, if you can find them, specially for the photos of Modern Art/Installation/Furniture/etc!

Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand