No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Not to everyone's liking, but I love my Beranek glassworks (Exnar) birds!  (Read 16695 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Not to everyone's liking, but I love my Beranek birds!
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 09:03:19 AM »
 ;)

But that's the joy of collecting, Anik - the excitement of finding each one.
It would be very dull indeed if you could just walk into a shop and buy them all at once.

(I need more weird flowers... :) )
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 09:35:37 AM »
Oh, I know, Sue, but they very, very rarely show up anywhere. In my two years of obsessively observing glass on Aukro (a Czech on-line auction site) I have only come across one cat, and was horrendously outbid.  All the ones I've got have come from one seller in the States (via eBay), but it seems his stock of Exnar has dwindled away.  Pout, pout...  :(

It's a shame I wasn't a collector a few years back, and that I didn't know Beranek glass could be purchased at TK Maxx...  One phone call to my Mom, and she'd be at Winners (TK Maxx in Canada) buying the stock for me.  Sigh.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2012, 09:50:49 AM »
It was only for a fairly short period soon after they opened that really good stuff could be found - it's been very thin on the ground for a long time, and the only reason for going there now is to check for stuff which might appear later in antiquey and collectable places being passed off as older.
I got both my Tarnoweic "waste-paper bins" there too.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2012, 01:53:35 PM »
Hi Anik,
designer is Jan Exnar not Beranek :-)

jindrich
www.cs-sklo.cz

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2012, 06:15:21 PM »
Oh yes, I know Exnar is the designer of the wonderful animals...  I think my heading is misleading as I meant Beranek glassworks.  I'll ask a moderator to tweek it for me so that it reads "Beranek glassworks birds" or better "Exnar birds".

Thank you for taking a look, Jindrich.  You've been very much missed on the GMB.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
The last item to join my collection, at least for a little while... a rather ugly, but still perfectly charming, frog prince.

He's about 9,5cm tall, 10cm wide and weighs 557g.  I suppose Exnar designed him, though he isn't in the catalogue.

:)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
You'll have to find him his princess!

He's very cute, I'd happily kiss him  :-* .... but could not be responsible for any consequences. ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Lol...  the first thing I did when I unpacked him was give him a big 'ol kiss in hopes that I'd see a change in fortune.  No such luck.  My son decided he'd have a go because I'm doing it wrongly -- apparently my eyes should be closed and not open.

When nothing happened, he decided it's obviously broken and that we should send it back.  ::)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
I've now got a total of 17 Exnar 'things'... It's gone from a happy little cluster, to a collection, to an obsession.  :-[   Here are the latest 5. 

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 :o :-* :o
I'm in love with your anteater!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum