No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art Deco Stuart Crystal  (Read 3535 times)

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
Re: Art Deco Stuart Crystal
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 07:41:01 PM »
I would have thought dessert bowls, but stand to be corrected. :)

Hi Pete, some dimensions would help us to determine possible uses. If you take a picture, against a white background with a dark liquid in one of the glasses, we would probably be able to appreciate the design more clearly. (Coffee -- room temp. or flat coke works well).

Here is a link to help with your picture dilemma (that spelling doesn't look right, but oh well):  http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.0.html

Worse case scenario, take the large pictures and then email them to one of us and we will post them for you.

And, most importantly, welcome to the forum.

Carolyn

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 09:24:45 PM »
Hello Carolyn  -  having looked at a combination of Miller's pix and the images in the link from Ross  -  I'm inclined to think that those pieces with an everted rim are the grapefruits/desserts/sweets/sorbets  -  and any similar examples but without that sort of flared rim are probably the champagnes.       There does appear to be quite a difference in size between  some of these bowl type pieces.      I have looked through the pix in the link from Ross, but still don't think I've seen Pete's particular design.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 10:19:12 PM »
My best guesstimate of the age of the catalog is around 1964.  Whereas your design is likely to be 20s & 30s era or maybe a little earlier since the touck marks is for 1926 on.

Naming what it is - take your pick.  Sweet dish, Dessert comport, champagne, all seem possible - indeed allowable.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 11:12:08 AM »
I have found the same shape but always with a different pattern. That link from Ross Shows I have missed at least one nice piece of Crystal and will be using it again. I have tried the Irfan site and hope this works. I saw that the 'Champagnes' have a straight lip so I agree these would be desserts. I am setting up with Glass Gallery as well so I can upload my decent photos (after some practise). I will do as Carolyn suggests when I'm at home. Thanks again all. Pete

Still not the best mark picture, will try the flour and coffee  ;D I really need organise myself better !!
Pete. :-)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 01:37:23 PM »
They do seem a big improvement, just a little tweaking on the focus now :).        There is a little wrinkle that has been given to us by Antiquerose  -  which involves placing a magnifying lens between the camera and subject to give a bigger picture image than just using the macro setting.        It needs a little practice, and not all lenses seem to work, but when you do manage to get it right the the result is quite amazing  -  especially useful for photographing smallish back stamps.
I would agree with the straight lipped edge being the champers glasses.           Stuart glass can, on occasions, be reasonably common at flea markets and boot sales, and surprisingly quite a few of the older pieces still turn up showing a wide range of designs, with the Stratford and Woodchester patterns heading the list, perhaps.

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 01:47:35 PM »
I now have a couple of deisgns in my head just from this subject. I love the learning. The magnifying glass sounds good. I have the one that can hold objects in front of it. Will have a play later.
Pete. :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand