No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Art Deco Stuart Crystal  (Read 3536 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Art Deco Stuart Crystal
« on: January 27, 2012, 06:46:26 PM »
I have already listed these but would like to ask if anyone can name that pattern. I have searched as best I can but nothing matches. Again, this is purely so I know in the future if I see it again. Thanks
Pete. :-)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Art Deco Stuart Crystal
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 08:17:36 PM »
it looks like a sort of old fashioned egg and dart decoration joined by swags, but not sure, as your pictures are less than clear.     I've been through the Stuart section here....http://www.replacements.com/crystal/manu/C.htm.....but there are about 15 - 20 images missing, and just our luck could be one of yours, but feel free to look again.        Don't know that I'd call this decoration art deco, necessarily - almost a Georgian style.        Assume you are saying Stuart because your pieces have the backstamp??         Try other glass matching/replacement sources. :)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 09:02:51 PM »
Ive tried till my eyes bled and my fingers ached, must get a mouse for my laptop. The Stuart mark on the base is the one used c1926 from the info I have found and the shape I have seen in other Art Deco pieces from Stuart dated to 1921. I have taken some more pictures hope they help.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 10:27:10 PM »
sorry, the pix aren't really any improvement - are you using a camera or phone?    If you are serious about posting pictures on the GMB for the purposes of identification, then the images need to be of good quality.       Without looking, I trust that your comments about the period of use for this mark are correct, but just because this backstamp started life at the beginning of the art deco period doesen't automatically make the decoration on the glass an art deco style  -  and certainly not in this instance.    Look at books showing art deco style and fashion and you will see the difference.       As you will have seen from searching the Stuart patterns in the link, this factory produced a myriad of styles taken from the last couple of centuries, and from memory I don't recall seeing any which I'd have said were out and out art deco - most appear to be a sort pastiche of classical abstract or floral type of decoration.      Am sure that you're aware that some Stuart pieces carry, additionally, the Rd. No., and this can help with identification  -  although assume yours doesn't.       This is all just part of a learning curve, and adds to your knowledge and enjoyment of glass.     Do look at art deco styles, which is not time wasted. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 09:46:02 AM »
hello Pete            should have also added last night that a likely reason we cannot find your design is because of the age, and possibly short-lived use of your design.   There are only a few of the older designs shown in Miller's, and most of the examples shown on the replacement/matching web sites are items that have occured over only the past half century  -  not far enough back to include your one  -  possibly.       There seems to be a lack of generally available literature for the older material -although we do have one old catalogue in the vaults of the GMB covering patterns of larger items.........http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,37350.msg204478.html#msg204478   

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 11:35:03 AM »
I cant use my camera, its 12.2mp and they wont resize to post. I will try for a direct link. Thanks for all the help so far, much appreciated. Pete

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 11:48:18 AM »
I'm an ignoramus re cameras, but wouldn't a programme like IrfanView re-size adequately for you??

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 02:20:01 PM »
Try http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=938 where I put up a Stuart Catalog - it may contain your pattern.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 03:16:02 PM »
Will check out that link, thanks Ross. I tried resizing on both photo bucket and on my own programme. I'm not so good with cameras either but will sort something. I will check how to link to photo bucket and try that way. I'm not at home so will do it tonight. Are these champagne bowl or dessert ?  (They are fragile and I'm surprised they have lasted so long. I will have to pack them very carefully, so far I haven't lost any in post)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 03:28:59 PM »
I would have thought dessert bowls, but stand to be corrected. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand