No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Welz I think...  (Read 5355 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Welz I think...
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 05:24:24 PM »
The three-ball base seems to be quite typical for Welz. See Craig's (and others?) site on Bohemian Glass for examples.

I have a pair with spiraling pinchwork up the body and in yellow-white spatter glass. The yellow-white spatter colour scheme has had a bit of discussion in the Board, and I think most if us here are now aware that it does not specifically mean it's Moser - even if some eBay sellers might still like that idea.
KevinH

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 06:53:57 PM »
Rosie: what KevinH said, I can add no more ;D ;D,peat bog monster???

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 07:18:48 PM »
Actually Keith,  it is 'Peat Monster Malt Whisky'....we just add the 'bog' bit for a laugh  :chky:.....and in all honesty,  I think it is a blend of two different whiskies, rather than a single malt......considered an aquired taste!

I just collected a Komaromy piece from the seller, so am on cloud nine again.

Thanks KevinH, for taking the time to explain.......I'll try to learn more about glass other than animals.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 10:07:48 PM »
Below are some photos of my pair of vases mentioned earlier. They are 19cm (7.5 inch) height and 6.4 cm (2.5 inch) across the ball base section.

The ribbing on these is different from Keith's example. There are 15 ribs around the balls and each ball has a nodule, or nipple, at the outer junction of the ribs. The neck has alternating, raised "plain" and "close placed nodule" lines.

It might be interesting for someone to make a study of these types of item to see how many variations of ribbing could be found and to consider whether the variations are in fact all by Weltz.
KevinH

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 10:25:18 PM »
there has been mention  here (see link below) that 16 ribs is a marker for Welz.
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/44544-bohemian-ball-and-fan-vase-in-a-gaudy-sp?in=441
m

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 12:36:56 AM »
Rosie: I shall have to try that one,my vase has only 15 ribs,would you 'Adam and Eve it'....bad rib joke :pb: :pb:

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 12:42:35 AM »
Café we come!!.................. :24: :24: :wsh:

Poor KevinH you are really giving lots of good info here,  I have just stopped giggling long enough to take in the salient points tou are making......night night.....I'm a pumpkin again!
Rosie.  :)
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 11:27:26 PM »
Rosie, I could have used all sorts of other words, but the basics seemed best.

Keith, if our vases have 15 ribs and if Collectors Weekly state that "16 ribs is a marker for Welz", should we think ours are not Welz or that Collectors Weekly just forgot to allow for variations and the point that probably every company that made moulded decorative glass also used a 16-rib mould at some time???

Additional input:

1. The necks of my yellow-white vases have 18 ribs but set in a 9-sided shape - 9 plain ribs form the edges of each section and the 9 raised nodule ribs lie in the centre of each "flattened" side.

2. I have another vase with the same neck and base ribbing structure but without the pinchwork and it has a differing style foot. The neck and base are in clear glass and have the same ribbing structures but the neck is rounded, not 9-sided.

3. I can only find one mould line on the base section - on the top half only of one of the balls! I can't work out how the mould would have been used.
KevinH

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 12:22:25 AM »
Or collectors weekly got it wrong? I've a couple of other diagonal ribbed pieces that may be related,or not ::)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 12:48:48 AM »
ooooh I like that tall splashy one at the back - that would work perfectly in my collection  ;D
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand