No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is it Scandinavian ?  (Read 3824 times)

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Re: Is it Scandinavian ?
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 10:43:05 AM »
Haven't a clue about machine made vs handmade sorry, someone else will probably know though.

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 07:12:20 AM »
pete: A small hint:  It is important to see the actual shape and this is easiest if you take the photo from the exact horizontal position, not even the slightest downwards or upwards.  If you look at the red vase picture in the link from Wayne you see the point!

Wayne has it totally correct.  ;)  I agree both Riihimäki and Riihimäen are in this sense correct as people know they both mean the same factory.  Just a curiosity to enlighten the fact: Finnish language does not use prepositions but bend the word for a genitive case to express possession, so "Riihimäen Lasi" means "Riihimaki's Glass"

scavo: 1465 would be mold blown, turned. The distictive ridges in the base develop somehow in the process of annealing and cooling.  
The last hand made blown glass items were made in the end of year 1976 in RL. Tamara Aladin designed about 150 known designs but a huge number more that were not documented or sold as her designs. (probably the most of the large export range from the end 60's until 1976. Btw: 1374 is one of those designer is not known, also 1371)
Cannot say anything about your 151?, why not add a thread with a photo?

Offline scavo

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 12:32:39 PM »
Px thanks for the clarifications on many useful points. I'm sure to follow your posts.

Linguistic point/question: I'm not sure if possessive apostrophe 's' is a preposition? But I know know what you mean. Glass from Riihimaki would be Riihimäen Lasi rather than Riihimaki Lasi which would be grammatically incorrect. Can I assume lasi = glass?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 01:13:27 PM »
You've got it. :smg:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand