No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: possible Nazeing 'Venetian' lantern.  (Read 894 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
possible Nazeing 'Venetian' lantern.
« on: February 02, 2012, 08:33:33 PM »
I've only recently been lucky enough to get hold of a copy the privately published catalogue of Nazeing Glass, by Geoffrey C. Timblerlake, and found this lantern today, which I thought initially had a good chance of being one of the the Nazeing designs.          Seems to have the right sort of wire (i.e. round section for the pre-war examples), with a little black paint on the glass (where apparently the metalwork was painted after blowing).    The curved shapes of the wire frame look very similar to those in the book, and the glass bulges look about right.         BUT..............
I can't find this particular pattern in the book............the book doesn't mention Sapphire ;) as one of the colours (although I believe they did do some blues)...............neither does the book mention that the glass was blown into a mould that produced a sort of diamond quilted surface effect like this one.
So, all in all I now really don't know.            Were there other manufacturers that offered these lanterns does anyone know??  -  it certainly has some age  -  perhaps it might be one of the later examples.     It's something like 11.25" - 290mm in total height.         All replies welcome :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Re: possible Nazeing 'Venetian' lantern.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 12:18:05 PM »
Were there other manufacturers that offered these lanterns........?

Simply put Paul, yes, a number of other manufacturers made these, including from the Continent.

Nigel

PS. Glad you managed to find a copy of that book ;) :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 03:54:09 PM »
thanks Nigel...........I really did think this was going to be a Nazeing example, but since it appears that they didn't do a blue, then think the colour has put the dampers on that idea, although the pattern is very Nazeing looking.       I have in fact sent an email to the factory (with some pix) and have asked for their opinion - and presently waiting for a reply.              Will post the outcome of my request in due course.
P.S.    It was Nigel who provided me with the book, so very grateful for his generosity. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 10:14:29 AM »
Very pleased to say that I have just received the following reply from the Nazeing works...............

""Hi Paul,   Yes we can confirm it is a Nazeing product as we have one hanging in our museum.         The colour is unusal but we did occassionally use it.
Kind regards,
Vicky Payne
Technical Sales Executive        -         Nazeing Glass Works Ltd""

So just goes to show that my pessimism was unfounded ;D
My sincere thanks to Nazeing for their prompt reply and help, and especially to Vicky Payne for allowing me to quote her reply.      I understand that the colour is 'probably' sapphire blue, and the period of manufacture was somewhere in the 1950's, which according to the book makes it the 'second period of manufature', probably.      The first was pre 1940, I believe, although exactly when the 'third' and final period was I'm not sure.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 03:20:47 PM »
Hello Paul,

I've emailed you personally with my thoughts.

Though, one has to ask how, when all the information on these framed latterns is published in the book by Timberlake, can anyone assert that something not recorded is in fact by the company when there is only a general point of reference????

It doesn't seem to be going from the known to the unknown, rather more a leap of faith....... :o

Nigel

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 03:36:31 PM »
thanks Nigel - have seen your note now  -  and will investigate further and let you know the outcome. :)   

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 10:48:20 PM »
just an up-date, and to say that I had a phone discussion earlier today with Stephen Pollock-Hill which was very informative, and I'm pleased to say that he has re-confirmed that this colour/design was indeed a Nazeing product duirng the '50's or early '60's.         He did say that if he had time he would send a brief note to the GMB to put this in writing. :)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 10:17:37 PM »

Well, that's good news indees Paul. Thanks for all your efforts  ;) :)

Nigel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand