No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Czech* mystery ashtray with blue spiral -- maker?  (Read 2341 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Czech* mystery ashtray with blue spiral -- maker?
« on: February 03, 2012, 09:05:26 AM »
I need help from the experts regarding this nice ashtray with remains of the classic silver-on-yellow-background Bohemia label.

Light blue glass with internal dark blue spiral, 15.5 cm long, 8.5 cm wide.
Sort of wedge shaped -- very similar to my Stahlikova/Veliskova ashtray (especially to Jindrich's example further down in that thread).
The spiral pattern plus colours are a match to the Stahlikova vase PN 5927 -- here is a pic in Dusan's gallery.
BUT -- I cannot find it in the pattern books...
There is one ashtray with a blue spiral by Jirsakova (PN 6044), but the drawing shows only the top view, so it could look totally different in reality.

If not Skrdlovice -- which other makers are possible?

Thanks!
Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: Czech* mystery ashtray with blue spiral -- maker?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 01:31:06 PM »
"There is one ashtray with a blue spiral by Jirsakova (PN 6044)" I think that is a good attribution and pattern match really. Some Jirsakova pieces have lighter spirals, but if that is the only issue re. attribution I think this is not a big issue and all the rest fits, which I think makes a confident attribution, a lovely unusual piece I have not seen before, great find Rocco!

Robert (bOBA)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:15:06 PM »
Thanks a lot for confirming my guess, Robert!
It simply looked so "Skrdlovice"-ish :)

This nice piece comes from last week's trip to Berlin, where I found another good piece of Czech glass as well -- a huge Prachen vase by Josef Hospodka (not to everyone's taste, but I love it)

Michael

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 12:17:50 AM »
Michael,

What a great eye you have.  Two very good and different finds. Well done.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 01:15:08 PM »
Thanks, David! :sun:

I was hoping to find some nice German glass in Berlin, but am more than content with my Czech purchases (and that the prize level was about equal to that of Vienna).

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand