No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Question regarding pressed glass  (Read 11134 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Question regarding pressed glass
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2006, 10:22:14 PM »
Quote from: "Lustrousstone"
... Black Poppy has two versions with similar looking figures but different tops and bases to the upright (and Wayne has one of these), is either Jobling?

Christine — Black Poppy has pictures of two identical Jobling Three Graces, one in blue (column 1 row 4) and another in pink (column 1 row 2).

Baker & Crowe has the definitive story of this Jobling range, only lacking information on trial pieces, such as the third centrepiece figurine, that never went into production.    Also several variants of colour and shape have since turned up in the market place; for example I have a pierced salad bowl and underlying plate set in stock, made from a modified mould, which is not recorded in the book.    Also, with one or two exceptions, it does not discuss what happened to the moulds after Jobling disposed of them.

It is an excellent read, packed with information.   Second-hand copies attract high prices, but you should be able to borrow one through your local library via inter-library loan.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline greenglass

• Members
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2006, 11:33:07 AM »
Hi everbody.  Thanks to Kay, Christine, Bernard Steven and Frank for all your comments regarding the fish bowl.  Yes I love the bowl, in fact I like it more every time I look at it.  The wavy pattern depicting water on the bowl seems to have a sort of glow with it in the way that it reflects the light.  I also love your rose coloured bowl Kay, beautiful.  I am still hoping we will come up with the answer as to who made this beautiful piece.  Thanks Steve for all your efforts, much appreciated.  
I am not sure where I am with the three graces stand and bowl.  Still not sure if they go together or who made them.  I have a three graces in pink also but unfortunately without the bowl.  The pink one does not seem to have the quality of the green vaseline one though, when compared side by side.  I do have quite a lot of nice pieces of glass. The opalescent glass to the back of the lalique water carrier in the photo is a lampshade made by Ezan in the 1950's.  I think this was part of a chandelier, I am actually offering this piece for auction this week.  

I will post some more pictures later.   My thanks to you all.  Sheila

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2006, 12:40:38 PM »
:idea: Light has dawned. Thanks very much Bernard.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2006, 02:27:17 PM »
Quote from: "Lustrousstone"
... Light has dawned. ...

Christine — only too pleased to help.   I hope you enjoy Baker & Crowe.   That, along with Simon Cottle's Sowerby and Roger Dodsworth's British Glass between the Wars, here often referred to just by the initials BGbtW, established the standard for subsequent reference works, however published, and form the core of my little reference library.   All three are well worth seeking out and studying, and are packed with useful information.

I hope you can make Harrogate on Sunday.   It's not that far from you.   I will bring all three books so you can see their quality for yourself.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand