No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Michael Harris attenuated bottle vases  (Read 5536 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Michael Harris attenuated bottle vases
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 02:22:40 PM »
Very nice, they look like taller examples to me, Aurene is becoming increasingly popular. As far as insurance goes, if you wanted to rush out and buy a pair you would be extremely lucky to find two for sale. If you could find two at retail I doubt you would have much change from your £500 these days.

I find this a difficult shape to photograph, they are so tall and skinny that I just end up with a little coloured blob in the center of the photo surrounded by huge expanses of white....

Here is another Aurene example: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/EarlyIsleOfWightStudioGlass#5484549765600200162

John

At those sizes they are shorter examples (slightly rarer).

Offline Gavin

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 02:50:21 PM »
I fully agree with you about capturing them on film, i wouldn't think they were the same vases in some pictures i've taken, it's all about catching the right light which is beyond my abilities i'm afraid.
 My wife is keen for me to sell these on and turn a nice profit, but i love them too much right now. When i bought them i had no idea what they were, just liked the look of them and took a bit of a punt.

Gavin

Offline art-of-glass

• Members
    • Online shop
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 03:02:33 PM »
I have just turned green with envy, they look stunning!

Offline davidfish1212

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 03:27:46 PM »
John, your pictures look really good to me, great pieces both of you, very jealous guys.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 05:27:46 PM »
Thanks, I hope to be able to update that photo with my own short Aurene bottle in a month or three.

The problem that can occur when you sell items like this is if you change your mind later then the chances are it will be extremely difficult to replace them with similar examples. If you like them and can afford to hang on to them then you can always sell at a later date (prices for Michael Harris' work are on the up at present).

One 'downside' is you might decide to add to your budding collection...... ;D

John

Offline Gavin

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 10:05:15 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys, and a very big thanks to Sue for getting a pic up for me, your help is appreciated so much.
  I think i'm slowly winning the battle with my wife, convincing her that they are a sound investment to be held on to for a while. But if i do ever decide to sell i'll post details on here.

Gavin.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 12:11:20 PM »
They are particularly beautiful pieces, they are very, very desirable. There are only a limited number of them made, over a short period of time in the early days of IoWSG. Michael Harris' hand was in nearly every one, if not all of them.
I reckon a very sound investment to be hanging on to.
I'm certainly hanging on to mine!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Gavin

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 09:11:08 PM »
I've entered these in an auction sale, although i still have time to pull them as i missed this months auction so wont be going under the hammer until 21st March! They're being sold as a pair, the auctioneer seems to think they'll do better that way.
 Also selling my signed and numbered weight. I'm a bit reluctant to sell, but needs must i'm afraid so they have to go  :(

They're up with Tooveys in West Sussex but wont feature on line for a few weeks yet. As i said i have about 10 days to change my mind before they start cataloging them. I'm going to do my best spreading this little bit of news, if you want to know any thing about them feel free to email me Stoneuk1967@yahoo.com.

Thanks  Gavin

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 10:41:50 AM »
 :) You can make a new thread about the auction in the Market Place forum here - which is the appropriate place for any sales to be discussed.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand